Catherine's Reviews > Masquerading the Marquess

Masquerading the Marquess by Anne Mallory

Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: historical, series, romance, class-difference, england, illegitimate, manipulation-plot, read-2010, spy
Read from September 29 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy

I had so much fun reading this book! It was lighthearted and fun without being too fluffy. I had a lot of fun with the characters and can't wait to read the next book!

Calliope was such a great character. I swear, that girl wasn't afraid of anything. She was confident enough in her wits to boldly step into situations that had the potential to turn out badly for her. I never thought about it, but it would make sense that someone of her profession would need to be in close contact with members of the ton. How can you mock them if you don't even see them?

I had certain assumptions about this story when I read the summary. I thought that most of the book would revolve around Calliope trying to keep her true identity from James. Once again this author has turned my expectations on its ear! I was very pleased with how things ended up developing between them.

I also really liked the little bits that were devoted to acting. I felt that the author portrayed Calliope's roles very well with how things were phrased.

There were so many parts where I giggled to myself. The banter was fun, although it doesn't compare to her more recent offerings. I loved all the side characters we were introduced to! I wanted more of Stephen and more hints of Roth and a certain lady. Luckily I have their books on hand too.

One other thing that I really, really liked about the story: The situation with Salisbury. The resolution of it felt very realistic. Sometimes you don't get to tie everything up with a neat bow and make rainbows shoot through the sky. Sometimes people get shafted and there's no fix for them.

Now, on to the issues I had...

There were a lot of side characters running around. I had trouble keeping some of them straight, especially when they were only referred to by their designation. Like "Mr." or "Sir" or even a title. It was just confusing a times.

The rhythm of the events had a slightly choppy feel to it. It just felt like things needed to be tightened up here and there, and even clarified sometimes.

I thought the class difference would have a bigger significance than it did. It was brought up, and it was an issue a little, but there didn't seem to be any real depth to the very real problem it would have presented.

I felt that I didn't get to know James quite as well as I wanted to. He stayed brooding in the shadows a little bit too long for me. There was just this feel of something missing to both him and their relationship. I can't put my finger on it, but I could feel it nagging at me a bit as I read.

But those few problems I had didn't make the read unenjoyable for me. I plan to keep this book and reread it at a later date. Now, on to Stephen's book! Yeah!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masquerading the Marquess.

09/29/2010 page 2
1.0% ""Too long had the same insipid ladies and gentlemen reigned supreme over the ton. Just once she wanted to see the plain but intelligent girls and lads give back as good as they got. Perhaps if they were to do it en masse...She could form a group, create a revolution of sorts. Rise up, normal young people! Break down the social barriers! Overthrow the haughty elite!" - LOL! Hack the planet!" 9 comments
09/29/2010 page 36
9.0% "Ah, a class difference romance! Nice!"
09/29/2010 page 43
11.0% ""Calliope took in a deep breath. Esmerelda exhaled." - I like the way she wrote that. Very nice." 3 comments
09/29/2010 page 45
12.0% "Just met his friend James. LOL!" 5 comments
09/29/2010 page 57
15.0% ""Stephen glanced back at the drawing, and although he vainly tried to hide it, another smile crossed his face. "How do you define irony? This is certainly an interesting turn of events."" - It is indeed. :D" 5 comments
09/29/2010 page 79
21.0% ""It was Angelford, of course. No one else could possibly be a better witness to her embarrassment.""
09/29/2010 page 106
28.0% "Oh no! Poor Stephen!" 3 comments
09/29/2010 page 206
54.0% "Now that I'm finding out more about Salisbury I'm very sad it's all too late for second chances. :( *sniff*" 5 comments
09/29/2010 page 243
63.0% ""Had Calliope seen these? He'd show them to her when she woke. She would probably enjoy the one of Cecelia." - Oh Lord! James wants to share the caricatures with her." 1 comment
09/30/2010 page 276
72.0% "Note to self: Do not play with canes before making sure they don't have a blade concealed in them." 5 comments
09/30/2010 page 333
87.0% ""If you don't move your bloody arse towards the door, I will kill you myself." - Ahhh, true love. <3" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new)

AH Now you've got me into these types of novels.

Catherine AH wrote: "Now you've got me into these types of novels."

The Anne Mallory type you mean?

message 3: by AH (new)

AH These historical novels. I'm pretty new to them, but your reviews are making me want to add more books to my bloated to read list.

Catherine Gotcha. Well then good! ;P I read all over the place, but I always come back to my historicals. They remain my favorite.

message 5: by Nissie (new)

Nissie Great review,Catherine! I always come back to the historicals, too! They were the first thing I read when I moved up to what I call my big-girl-books.

message 6: by AH (new)

AH Not me...I read all the spy novels and the world conspiracy books. I think I go through stages, but now with ebooks, there are so many more possibilities out there.

Catherine Nissie wrote: "Great review,Catherine! I always come back to the historicals, too! They were the first thing I read when I moved up to what I call my big-girl-books."

Me too. :)

Catherine AH wrote: "Not me...I read all the spy novels and the world conspiracy books. I think I go through stages, but now with ebooks, there are so many more possibilities out there."

I love the action, but sometimes it's easier for me to watch it instead of read about it. I prefer more of the focus to be on the characterization and relationship building.

message 9: by AH (new)

AH Have you ever read Nelson DeMille? He has some very well developed characters (The Lion's Game, The Lion).

Catherine No, I haven't. Which one would you recommend out of those two?

message 11: by AH (new)

AH The Lion's Game is the one to start with. The interesting thing about this book was that it was published before 9/11 and it has a very scary terrorist plot. He writes from the terrorist's point of view.
Lots of action, too. It would make a really good movie.

Catherine I will add it to my list to check out!

Katyana Great review! I am so glad you had fun with it!

I agree that there were a ton of side characters. And in terms of polish, I really felt you could tell it was her first book - the difference between this one and SSoS is pretty extraordinary. But I still had so much fun reading it that I couldn't mark it down. And I really really loved Calliope, and like you, I liked the very real treatment of Salisbury.

message 14: by Catherine (last edited Sep 30, 2010 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Thanks! I liked the Salisbury thing, but it also made me sad.

So, does the next book tighten up a tad?

Katyana Yeah, I think so. Though, as I mentioned in my review, I thought the wrap-up at the end was a bit of a whirlwind. But overall, it felt more polished, and it had more of the banter that we love about Mallory.

Catherine I guess I'll find out shortly. :) Off I go to get the book.

Katyana Hurrah!!

message 18: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn The banter was fun, although it doesn't compare to her more recent offerings

Nice review Catherine. Which would you recommend for the banter - you know I love it!

message 19: by Catherine (last edited Sep 30, 2010 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine I loved the banter in Seven Secrets of Seduction.

message 20: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn Thanks Catherine! I will push it up the list.

Catherine Yeah! When you read it come back and add to the status update conversations! Katyana and I had a lot of conversations skipping from my updates to hers.

message 22: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn Will do! I've ordered it so just need to wait for it to come in.

Catherine I hope you like it!

message 24: by Keri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Keri This one is in my next back of tbr books.

Catherine Keri wrote: "This one is in my next back of tbr books."

Cool!