Tasha's Reviews > Echoes

Echoes by Melinda Metz

Oct 29, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, paranormal, read-in-2010, young-adult
Read from September 17 to October 29, 2010

I liked this book, and I wanted to give it four stars.. I really did. And I would have if the ending wasn't so .. UGH.. annoying.

The book was full of twists and turns, and the first epilouge (there were three) was the moment I really got hooked into it. I actually felt a little anxious while Rae was being followed, and I was excited to figure out who was behind the kidnapping of Jesse, the anonymous letters and of course the pipe bomb. I had my suspicions and was eager to find out if I was right. And then- SURPRISE, the book just ended! I understand it's a trilogy, but the books gave NO answers to my lingering questions. I felt a little annoyed that I had just read 500 pages+ and still didn't know who the culprit was.

Also, it was a pretty cliche book to say the least. I mean, the concept was original for the most part, but the little teen slangs thrown around were a little corny. Example = Anthony's marijuana use. It was a cliche thing that was pointless, and I didn't like the way Metz described his pot smoking. It was over done.

The other HORRIBLE cliche thing was how Anthony participated in the house robbery after he coincidentally found out that his father was involved in an armed robbery. To make matters worse, the home owner arrives home and the boys tackle him and decide that "killing him is the only answer." This seriously pissed me off. It was absolutely ridiculous, there was no reason in that situation that the kids wouldn't just RUN AWAY like normal teenagers, rather than contemplate killing a guy.. And of course, Rae arrived just in time to save the day.

I will read the next book in the series at some point because there are to many questions left unanswered, but I won't be rushing out to buy it any time soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echoes.

09/17/2010 "I am very pleased to say that I won this through Firstreads, can't wait to start it!!"