Keli's Reviews > Nevermore

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: out-do-yourself-2011
Read from January 21 to 22, 2011

I . LOVED. IT.

No seriously, I am like obsessed with this book. So, let’s see, it’s around 543 pages, I started this last night around 6:30 PM and it’s 11:47 AM the next day. I have never read a book this thick THAT fast. I am crazy, but holy shit that was a great ride. Woot!

This isn’t going to be a full-front in detail review, because it would just be rants of love. But this is the reason I truly adore the story: It’s so original. Oh, and yeah, Varen.

I think you-- yes you reading this-- understand that when I say I’m sick of the perfect boy that’s all beautiful, sparkles or glows in the dark (whatever's in right now I guess) etc etc, that you agree. Varen is the total opposite. Sure, I mean, he wasn't described as completely disgusting or anything, but the way he was described was just so uniquely done and….oh Varen I love you so much! Marry me!

Basically, you need to go pick this book up right now. It has a dreamworld and everything, and awesome people. You know you want to read it.

Throughout high school, I was obsessed with Poe. I took his poems and wrote my own versions, I love his utter creepiness, and how dark he is. So, this book really drove me into getting back into Poe, because I truly love him!

This is one of those books I got so lost in that I wasn't worrying about page numbers or the length of the chapters, well actually I wanted them to be super long so I could get more of the story but you know what I mean.

I am afraid to read another book, because I know it won't be nearly as good as this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

Quotes Keli Liked

Kelly Creagh
“It was here that Isobel first felt the twinge of an inward pull on her mind. Slowly the words started to get out of the way and let images of courtiers revolve, in slow motion, through her mind's eye. It was as though she had somehow adapted to the density of the language. Soon the words smudged away from the page, and in their place, she was left with the sensation of gliding through the scene, like she'd become a movie camera, sweeping through the sets of rooms and over the heads of costumed actors.”

Kelly Creagh
“At last he stopped, and she stared down at the printed column of words, unable to comprehend a single one. His hand, warm and steady, wound its way around hers, wrapping it like a spider would its prey. She surrendered it to him, unable to watch even as his thumb traced the place, just above her knuckles, where he had once written his number in deep violet. Isobel ceased to breathe. Her heart pounded in her chest, her thoughts shattering into senseless fragments. All the while, her eyes remained trained and unblinking on the open page. Lines without meaning stared up at her, little more than black sticks in an otherwise white world.”

Kelly Creagh
“The more this guy talked, the more he sounded like a fortune cookie.”

Kelly Creagh
“Danny, give me the phone." Isobel thrust her hand out for the receiver. "And you can forget the five bucks."
"I was gonna charge you three-fifty anyway," he said, holding the phone just out of reach. "He knew he hadn't dialed the wrong number, so I had to tell him you were on the crapper.”

Kelly Creagh
“He smiled like he couldn't help it. She couldn't believe it. He was actally smiling, teeth and all. Had she ever seen him smile before? No, she realized, because right now, it was such a jarring thing to witness that for a moment it felt as though she was sharing the car with a stranger.”

Kelly Creagh
“Her fingertips reached to trace the damage, but he grasped her hand with his own. He leaned down, far enough that the dark ends of his hair brushed feather-light against her face, caught in her lashes.”

Kelly Creagh
“For the briefest moment, they came face to face. Their eyes locked. Then he broke the stare, swiveled, sank into a sitting position, chains clanking, with his knees up.
She watched him speechlessly as he set a cooler bag between his boots, like he was settling down to a picnic or something. An image of the contents as hospital blood bags, complete with juice straws, flashed through her mind.
Unfolding her legs, she made herself as comfortable as she could on the cold outer edge of the sill. An intangible and unnameable charge electrified the space between them, and at first, neither of them said anything.
[...] Finally she heard him unzip the bag and watched him pull out a small cylinder.
"I thought you might like some crappy ice cream," he said.”

Kelly Creagh
“He turned his head and caught her with his eyes.
She froze, locked by the intensity of his stare. His eyes were stark and cold, the concentrated green of pale jade. Outlined in smudged black kohl, those eyes focused on her, unblinking through the feathery strands of his jet black hair, and it was like being watched through a cage by a complacent and calculating cat.
Discomfort welled in her, thick and black as an oil spring. Who was this guy and what was his royal problem? Her gaze flicked briefly to the small metal loop that hugged one corner of his bottom lip.
He blinked once, then slowly lifted one hand and crooked a beckoning finger at her.
Isobel hesitated but then as though spellbound to obey, she found herself leaning in.
“What are you staring at?” he whispered.”

Kelly Creagh
“Gwen", he said in aknowledgement.
"Your darkness-ship", she returned with a bow.
Gwen-Varen”

Kelly Creagh
“His eyes remained on Isobel as he began a slow backward walk. He was doing it again, speaking to her with his eyes. She remained trapped in his stare, trying to hear him, to read the underlying message. Finally his gaze broke from hers and he turned away, walking off through the cafeteria doors.
There was a pause before Gwen spoke.
"Let me guess," she said. "Right now, you're trying to decide if that was hot or annoying." She paused, as though formulating her own opinion.... "It was so totally hot.”

Kelly Creagh
“You're really a blond," she said, her tone just short of accusatory.
"And if you tell anyone, I will come to you in the night and smote your everlasting soul.”

Kelly Creagh
“Why couldn't she just come out and say she liked him?
Maybe it was because she more than liked him.”

Kelly Creagh
“In love. In love with the stoic, the sullen, the eternally morose Varen Nethers?
He would never allow it.”

Kelly Creagh
“Wasn't he the one who sliced off his ear and mailed it to his girlfriend?"
"Van Gogh," said Varen, in a monotone that suggested he might be in pain.
"Van Gogh," Gwen said, leaning away, waving the apple. "Edgar Allan Poe. Close enough!”

Kelly Creagh
“Please welcome Professor Varen Nethers, famous depressed dead poets historian and author of the bestselling books Unlocking your Poe-tential: A writer's Guide, and Mo Poe Fo Yo: When You Just Can't Get Enough.”

Kelly Creagh
“Hands quivering, she reached toward him.
"Don't." He turned his back to her, facing the door.
That word had stopped her once before. But not now. Not now that she had glimpsed through the funeral front of Varen's own eternal Grim Facade. Despite all the dark armor, the kohl eye liner, the black boots and chains, she saw him clearly now. She peered through the curtain of that cruel calmness, through the death stare and the vampire sentiments and angst and, behind it all, had found true beauty.”

Kelly Creagh
“So." [Isobel] cleared her throat. "What are we doing?"
"We," [Varen] said at last, "are doing a project on Poe."
"Didn't he marry his cousin or something?"
"The man is a literary god and that's all you have to say?”

Kelly Creagh
“She edged away from him, trying to put a greater distance between herself and Creepy
McCreeperson. She bent down, careful not to let her eyes leave him, and plucked up a hairbrush
from where it had fallen on her floor. She held it at arm’s length in front of herself, a stupid weapon
feeling better than no weapon at all. At the very least, she could give him style.”

Kelly Creagh
“When there is no way, you must make a way.”

Kelly Creagh
“My beautiful, my Isobel. My Love. You ask me to wait. And so I wait.
For all of this, I know, is but a dream.
And when, in sleep, at last we wake,
I will see you again.”

Kelly Creagh
“I'll come back to get you, too, okay?"
"Why?" he snapped.
"Because," she said with a gasp, unable to fathom the source of his question, or his tone. "Because I love you, that's why.”

Kelly Creagh
“She could just hear her little brother asking all sorts of stupid questions, like if his underwear was black too.”

Kelly Creagh
“As if. You so got it for him. I mean, can we say, 'Uhm, urh, durh, Sloppy Joe'? Psh. Please. Can't hide it from me.”

Kelly Creagh
“You need to just drop dead, okay?”

Kelly Creagh
“Just because I live in the sunlight, enjoy being blond, and wear a cheerleading uniform, that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I'm so sick of that.”

Kelly Creagh
“Why the snap-crackle-pop didn't you call me?" - gwen”
tags: humor

Kelly Creagh
“Just because I wear black and keep a private journal, that doesn't mean I'm going to blow up the school. Or terrorize mindless cheerleaders, for that matter.”

Kelly Creagh
“This should make him happy. This should change him. But it doesn't. It can't. He's been changed already. And I don't know what to write anymore, because I'm afraid of what it will be. Because I can't think, and she asks me to write, but I won't know what to write. I can't think. I can't think. Isobel. Isobel. Isobel.”

Kelly Creagh
“She had just enough time to take in a breath, to blink, to part her lips before he took them with his own.”

Kelly Creagh
“She glanced down at the contents of her plate. Just tell him what it is. Simple. Look at it and say what it is. "Sloppy Joe," she managed.
"Hmm," he said, sounding doubtful. "May he rest in peace.”

Kelly Creagh
“Isobel's head popped up. "What does 'sagacious' mean?"
"Sagacious," he said, writing, "adjective describing someone in possession of acute mental faculties. Also describing one who might, in a bookstore, think to get up and locate an actual dictionary instead of asking a billion questions.”

Kelly Creagh
“What can I say?" Poe muttered. "Chicks dig the mustache.”

01/21/2011 page 150
27.0% "I am in love with this book..."
01/22/2011 page 305
54.0% "Did I just read all that? I didn't even notice. I'm in love with this BOOK!"
01/22/2011 page 430
77.0% "Well, good morning Nevermore, ready to read some more?!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaisa Oh! I agree! This book was absolutely AH-MEEH-ZING!

Keli I know!!! I'm in love with it <3 I can't wait fot the sequel, actually I'm DYING waiting with an ending like that one!!

Keli *for, stupid typos

Dylan I'm totally reading this book next! xD

Keli Yay!!!!

Arlene I just finished this and I loved it too!!!

Keli I know what you mean, it's a lovable book. I just want to cuddle and kiss it all OVER!! Ok, maybe not.

Jennifer Hahahha this is amazing, I felt the exact same way as you.. i'm so thrilled there are going to be two more of these! :)

And yes.... Varen.. is... GAHH mmmm so amazingly beautiful.. I think we all want him.

Keli @Jennifer.

Jennifer Rae wrote: "@Jennifer.
Nope, he's MINE!!! MINE!!! Something goth boys, he's not the average "beautiful boy with muscles and golden hair and sparkly skin" It's refreshing."

Hahahhahah, I love your enthusiasm over the matter! I agree though, very refreshing indeed. ;)

In all our minds we pretend that he is ours and that no one else knows about him! Hah.

A little off topic, have you read The Ghost and The Goth? I read it right after Nevermore and was afraid I would blend the characters because G&G had the same similar goth meets cheerleader but not quite. Luckily it held enough differences but then again... who could ever compare Varen to anyone else. ;D

And I loved how Kelly Creagh made the song available by Cemetery Sighs that Varen was listening to at work!

Ahhh there are wayyyy too many positives to this book. Though I was a little upset when I was reading these reviews and someone gave it like 2 stars and was saying Isobel was annoying.. etc. Hah, in fact I ordered this book and G&G to OWN. I'm already having the urge to re-read it.

message 11: by Keli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keli Ghost and the Goth is on my Next-To-Buy list. After reading this book, goth boys have taken hold of my interest. Haha.

message 12: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem Hardan The best book I've ever read...totally agree with u!!! amazing!

Rayzel ♔ I'm reading this right now and it's AMAZING so far! Oh, but how her friends make my blood boil!!! >:(

Arion I completely understand, I read it last night. I believe I never read a book that long in such a short time and then just wanted to start again from the beginning. It really surprised me, in the beginning it was as any other ya book, but few pages into it i fell in love with Isobel, Varen and Poe. Pozdrav iz Zg :)