Betsy's Reviews > Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self

Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self by Danielle Evans

Oct 17, 2010

Read from October 04 to 17, 2010

The voice or perspective of these eight short stories is what I found most eye-opening and compelling. It's the voice of someone very different than me - a young black woman sharing stories about her childhood, teen-age years and early adulthood - mostly about situations that I never experienced or ever could but also about familiar issues like "white flight" and "the achievement gap" viewed from an unfamiliar vantage point, one very different than mine.

One story is about a young mixed race New Jersey girl's misadventures with her cousin at her severe (and white) grandmother's house in Tallahassee. Another is about two teenage girls' risky clubbing in New York City. Another is about the relationship between black and white girls sharing a college dorm (and one white girl's ability to sell her eggs for big bucks while another black girl faces an abortion.) I also liked the last story about a black girl and reluctant valedictorian at a "new South" high school who is on her way up while her closest friend is on her way down..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self.