Walter's Reviews > Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

Dangerously Funny by David Bianculli

Sep 17, 2010

bookshelves: e-book, own
Read from September 17 to 25, 2010

I was too young to appreciate the controversy that the Smothers Brothers caused when their show was on the air, but I remember watching it every week and enjoying it quite a bit. My very conservative father controlled the TV dial in those days and apparently he enjoyed the show too, otherwise we wouldn't have watch it, so CBS may have greatly misjudged mainstream tastes when they pulled the plug on the show.

In any case, I have been a lifelong fan of the comedy duo and thus I am a somewhat biased reviewer of this book. I found it fascinating to read about the origin's of the Smothers Brothers act and the Comedy Hour. Bianculli provides some background information about the brothers and their other shows, but the bulk of the book is devoted to the Comedy Hour. He stops short of a complete show-by-show recap, but he recaps some of the key shows and lists several artists who got their start on the show. I had forgotten much of this over the years and the book brought back pleasant memories.

The late 60s were a pivotal time in American history and the book discusses the show in the context of that background. I recommend it to anyone who did not live through those years and is trying to gain an appreciation for the era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerously Funny.

09/17/2010 page 200