Samantha's Reviews > On Basilisk Station

On Basilisk Station by David Weber

F_50x66
Sep 17, 10

Read in September, 2010

The first two thirds of this book involve a great deal of info dumping and political staging, two things which simply don't interest me at all, but the last third is high-octane military action and absolutely riveting. I am not one in general for hard military sci-fi, for which this clearly qualifies, but space battles? YES PLEASE! 'On Basilisk Station' delivers beautifully. Various 'Star Wars' themes were running through my head all the way through the last portion of the book. :)

Which is not to say the rest of the book is sans merit. It's enjoyable for the character development and interactions between the crews. Weber does flesh out his characters well. Unfortunately, he also has the tendency to go off on multi-page schpeels about technical things or political history. While some might consider this necessary to make the story more complete, as it were, that sort of thing bores me, and I found myself skimming multiple pages.

I am also wary of the Perfect Commander trap I see developing. As of yet, Honor Harrington has yet to display any particular flaws, and I'm always suspicious of people who seem "too good to be true." They are just hard to buy. Even so, in general she's likeable, and I am open to reading more of these books - the action definitely delivered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Basilisk Station.