Kim's Reviews > Succubus On Top

Succubus On Top by Richelle Mead

Sep 20, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, read-in-2010, favorites, read-in-2012
Read from September 17 to 19, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I don't suggest reading this if you haven't read this, because it contains spoilers, I'm sorry. I'm a scatterbrain today (even more than normal) so this is basically me saying random things that pop into my head. (and spelling errors will have to wait for when I get home)

It's been a while since I read a book that didn't feel like I was reading at all. The pages just keep coming, my mind stays focussed on the story and I'm always sad I have to put it down. I'm still in the middle of a 4-or-5-stars debate with myself, so my rating may change soon.

What's to say... I didn't like the red crystal part of the book, it felt a little bit like 'we need at least one supernatural thing to happen here' and the parts with Dana (I'm suddenly not sure about her name anymore for some reason) were a bit boring.

I know it's a little odd, giving a book a good rating, while having quite a few issues with it. But so many amazing things make up for the 'bad' stuff. But I will keep my biggest objection for last...

Georgina and Seth. I lost count of how many times I sat there, melting in my comfy chair. I gasped, I swooned. Thetis... my god, (this is my love for pet names surfacing) I'll marry the first guy who comes up with something that appropriate for me. The final scenes were very, very enjoyable ^^ One other thing: Seth is loyal, but a little bit too loyal for his own good. I've seen doormats giving up quicker than he does. I know it must be hard for him, but seriously...

I love and hate Bastien. I really liked everything about him, he's a good friend to Georgina. From the moment he walked through the door I wanted to yell "DON'T YOU DARE TURN INTO SETH" and then when he finally did I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. Don't get me wrong, I'm dusgusted with G as well for falling for it, but what he did was so below the belt we need shovels and a flashlight. And then Bastien goes ahead and throws it into Seth's face, before G gets a chance to tell him, that's even worse.

So... I'm already sure the next book will rip out my heart, complete with a stampede running over it and tearing it to pieces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succubus On Top.

09/17/2010
10.0% "I am in love with their relationship."
09/19/2010
80.0% "*gasps* I really wished he wouldn't, but then he did." 4 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen You said "below the belt." very appropriate. Punny :)

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim *grins*

I try.

message 3: by Nic (last edited Sep 20, 2010 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic *SPOILER*

LOL. Loved your review. Oh I completely forgot about the ending when she gave him those pictures and he give her that story/poetry. And then they.....well they didn't but they did make each other happy if you know what I mean ^^.

~Tina~ Grrr, skimming is so not the same as just reading the review.
Okay, I'll start this series soon!

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Nic, they made each other very happy.

And I grinned all the way through it ^^

Tina, YES. OMFG YES.

~Tina~ LMAO Kim! Okay, I'll start it on Wednesday after the two books I'm reading.

message 7: by Kim (last edited Sep 20, 2010 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim After the two books you are reading? You do realize Wednesday is like... 48 hours away from now, and by normal standards, you sleep about 14 to 16 hours of those.

So chop chop. *does that annoying watch-tapping gesture that makes me want to punch people*

I'm just kidding, I'm very happy you'll be joining me very soon.

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Kim, it's especially awesome when they're not wearing a watch. Like WTF does that even mean? People don't point to their crotch when they have to pee. (crotch is a dirty word, I'm sorry.)

~Tina~ You know I can read a book a day. Ye of very little faith in me, my friend;)

message 10: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic If anyone can do it you can :)

message 11: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F I have faith in you, Tina!

And Jen. LMAO.

I actually wore a watch today. Some kid gave it to me this morning to give to some other kid. I "accidentally" forgot. I'll give it back to them tomorrow...

~Tina~ Thankies;)

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen YAY TINA! you go on and speed read like you're making a paycheck for it. Can I borrow your speed-readness? I have a massive TBR :( AND! I just bought three more books.
Sea - Heidi Kling
A Blue So Dark - Holly Schindler (I have clinical in a mental hospital and this is about schizophrenia)
Ballads of Suburbia - Stephanie Kuehnert

Has anyone read these yet? I'd check but I'm inexplicably lazy.

message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F A Blue So Dark? I've been dying to read that one. Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

I've read I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by the same author of Ballads of Suburbia. It was okay.

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I'm so fudging pumped for A Blue So Dark. I just worked with a TON of schizophrenic patients and it's a horrifying disease. This one man had actually mapped out all the ways that the government was trying to end his life. He was SO convinced. Then again, he was also convinced he was the Christ child and that witches put a voodoo spell on him, taking away his powers.

I'm so going to be a psych nurse. Keeps it interesting. I'm probably gonna read that one first when I get it, so I'll post a review asap!

~Tina~ I'm sending you my speed-reading vibes as we speak Jen;)

I've read Sea by Kling, it was surprising not what I thought it would be, but in a good way. Very sweet:)
I'm not sure I wanna read A Blue so Dark, I've never been good with books that have mental issues, look forward to your review on that.
I'm gonna look up what Ballads of Suburbia is about, never hear of that one:D

message 17: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I'm glad you enjoyed Sea!! This is good news :)

message 18: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Does anyone have twitter?

message 19: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic No twitter :(

I loved Sea is was a story with lots of heart. Can't wait to hear what you think about A Blue So Dark and Ballads of Suburbia if they are any good I might get them :)

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim It's been 10 minutes and I'm still wiping away my tears Jen, you are hilarious.

Tina, you can do it, I'm positive ^^

Morgan, check you out, stealing watches from kids.

message 21: by Kim (last edited Sep 21, 2010 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Don't get me started on my TBR pile. It only gets bigger and bigger. I think they secretly mate when I'm not looking. I pick one up, and two take it's place.

A Blue So Dark, what's it about? (now I'm being lazy with not checking)

I have Twitter, but I don't use it =/ I think my nickname is the same as the one I'm using here, Kimster82.

message 22: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F I know. I'm such a bad seed.

~Tina~ These books are it's own sickness. Love them!

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Kim, ABSD is about a girl dealing with her mother's struggle with schizophrenia. I just got it today. Aaaah I want to read it right now, but I wanna devote all my time to Jellicoe Road (which I'm lurving.)

message 25: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I know Tina, XD

Jen, I would say it sounds interesting, but that makes me look weird lol.

message 26: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F I think it sounds interesting.

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim ROFL.

message 28: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Of course it's interesting! These people see things and hear voices that aren't really there. That's some interesting crap, right there.