Nic's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

F 50x66
Sep 16, 2010

bookshelves: 2011, dystopia, favourites, read-in-2011, favourite-of-2011, swoon-worthy-read
Read from June 07 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

What I imagine Four to look like: http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com...

My Favourite Quote:
As we walk toward the Pit, I repeat the line Will quoted to myself so I don't forget it.
I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives on person to stand up for another.
It is a beautiful thought.

Wow! What an amazing debut. As soon as I had finished Divergent I re-read it all over again. That is how much I loved it. For me it had all the right elements - extraordinary writing, gripping plot, unforgettable characters and delicious romance.

Roth's prose was sharp and addicting. It was a fast paced ride that I never wanted to stop reading. The plot had plenty of surprises yet there was a few twists I saw coming but it was the kind of predictable twists that you completely enjoy.

Tris is a compelling character who I admire. I like that she was a strong brave kick butt character but yet still had insecurities and doubts making her easy to relate to. With Four it was love at first sight or rather first read. Strong, daring (who doesn't like a dare devil), mysterious and HOT. There is also some intriguing secondary characters like Uriah, Christina and Caleb who I hope we get to see more of in the next instalment.

Tris and Four's relationship was surprisingly sweet and tender yet a little steamy. Their romance was perfectly done so it didn't overwhelm this brilliant story.

Overall, a spectacular debut that left me craving more. This is definitely one of my favourite reads of 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Nic Liked

Veronica Roth
“Peter would probably throw a party if I stopped breathing.'

'Well,' he says, 'I would only go if there was cake.”

Veronica Roth
“Who is he when he isn't Dauntless, isn't an instructor, isn't Four, isn't anything in particular?

Whoever he is, I like him. It's easier to admit that to myself now, in the dark, after all that just happened. He is not sweet or gentle or particularly kind. But he is smart and brave, and even though he saved me, he treated me like I was strong. That is all I need to know.”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.”

Veronica Roth
“For a few minutes we kiss, deep in the chasm, with the roar of water all around us. And we rise, hand in hand, I realize that if we had both chosen differently, we might have ended up doing the same thing, in a safer place, in gray clothes instead of black ones.”

Veronica Roth
“I stare at him. I feel my heartbeat everywhere, even in my toes. I feel like doing something bold, but I could just as easily walk away. I am not sure which option is smarter, or better. I am not sure that I care.”

06/07/2011 page 176
36.0% "Do you think I will get in trouble if I read this at work? FOUR <3" 11 comments
06/08/2011 page 316
65.0% "I don't need sleep right? I can stay up all night reading this. <3" 7 comments
06/08/2011 page 380
78.0% "I am going to be late for work if I don't stop reading this. FOUR <3"
05/27/2016 marked as: read

Brooke Nic! You must must read this!! Amazing. :D

message 2: by Nic (last edited May 25, 2011 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I know! I have it here in my urgent read stack, I just need to actually get to it.

Brooke Haha, it gets like that, doesn't it? I hope you love it :o)

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I just want to get my pile down. I am going on another book buying ban (ha not that ever works!)

message 5: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes a book buying ban? LOL

good luck with that!

I haven't bought much lately but am going to put in a few pre-orders @ TBD with my 10% off thingy sometime this week. I had my TBR down to 6 at the beginning of the year and now it's around 25... (but a few I swapped for and am not all that pumped about reading ~ more just something to check out. About half of them I am really looking forward to but making sure I am in the right mood first)

My other problem is I keep going to the library and reading library books instead of getting my TBR down...

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I know it will never last!

I am thinking of getting rid of some my TBR stack either giveaway or donate to the library. Ones I am pretty sure I won't read....

Brooke Oh, me too! It's sad though, I hate getting rid of books. The urge to read some of them has died down somewhat though...

message 8: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes I put a couple on my swap list that I haven't read. And I gave a whole bundle away. I thought I would feel sad but I honestly felt 'lighter' after it LOL.

message 9: by Brooke (last edited May 25, 2011 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooke I life that feeling :o) my tbr is insane... Somewhere around 60. It's incredibly overwhelming...

message 10: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes especially when my wishlist is also growing... ;)

~Tina~ Happy Reading twinie!

FOUR <3

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic FOUR <3. Me like already :)

~Tina~ wOOt!! FOOOOUUUURRRRR!!!

Brooke Hehe *swoon*. Can't wait for your review! :D

message 15: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic LOL Mirielle. I think I am going to have pick him next week :)

Milly I'm about to embark this journey. Just finished Good Oil and Im in for another great read! I'm definitely not on a slump!

Kirsten I can't wait to re-read this one! What I wouldn't give for a time machine right now...

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic @ Milly - I lurve this book! I hope you like it since it is not your normal genre :)

@ Kirsten - I have already re-read it once!

SJH (A Dream of Books) I have this on my TBR pile. I can't wait to start it! Everyone keeps telling me how fantastic it is.

~Tina~ ~thud~ Dear Gawd twinie!! Your Four is as delicious as I imagine him to be!! You have a gift gurl!!
~drools~ Excuse ma...I'm just gonna go read some highlights in the book now..again....now...

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Crazy question.. how do you feel like this compares to Hunger Games? With that being said do you feel like it is as good and draws the reader in making them feel like they can't get enough?

message 22: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic @ Jojo-Jo Anna - I think it is very different from HG but I did feel that pull that made it unputdownable!

@ Twine - LOL. You can see I ended up picking the other one. Thanks for your help though.

@ SJH - It is awesome. I hope you love it!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko @Nic thanks for your reply. I have decided to take a dive into dystopia books. I am EXTREMELY leery and Divergent seems like it might be a good one to try. I like romance to play a role in my books and have heard Hungry Games doesn't offer much. Decisions decisions.

message 24: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I would suggest both. Divergent definitely has more romance but the plot is incredible for The Hunger Games and is my favourite dystopia book. Can you get them from your library just in case they aren't you thing?

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Ah thanks for the suggestion.. Well we have Hunger Games because my son wanted to read it. Now he has stopped because he hates it he says. He says there is too much talking... LOL kids.... I will check the library for Divergent such a good idea. I have to finish the last of the Heavenly series and then Die for Me and I will give it a go.

Milly Oh my oh my Four is hot! Thanks for sharing him Nic!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Read both Nic you are not helping.. LOL.. Do you know where I can shop to find more hours in the day so I can read all of these books.. LOL

message 28: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Sorry LOL. If you find a place that sells extra hours of the day let me know :D

message 29: by Rogue (new) - added it

Rogue Nic wrote: "Sorry LOL. If you find a place that sells extra hours of the day let me know :D"

extra hours??! I can always use those! :D

Bet they'd be expensive... only celebs could afford em... lol. pooh ^^

Miss Page Turner Is the review on your blog already? Great you love it as much as I do:)

message 31: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Yep I did! Definitely one of my favourite reads this year :)

Arlene Yay! You liked it!! Great review Nic!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sigh Nic I can always count on you for a book boyfriend :)