Cassie's Reviews > The Very Best Pumpkin

The Very Best Pumpkin by Mark Kimball Moulton

200876
Sep 16, 2010

bookshelves: pumpkins, friendship, halloween, fall, preschool
Read in September, 2010

Real life neighbors and amazing book partners Mark Kimball Moulton and Karen Hillard Good have teamed up yet again for a magicial autumn delight. As with a couple of Moulton's stories, you think at first "ahhh it's going to be about this" when in fact, you find out it is actually about "that". Such is the case in The Very Best Pumpkin.

I was first introduced to Moulton and Good's work through the Christmas classic A Snowman Named Just Bob. I began the book expecting a story about a snowman and found a beautifully illustrated tale about friendship and love. When I first saw The Very Best Pumpkin, I was expecting a beautifully illustrated story about a boy and his pumpkin, yet again, I found a gentle tale highlighting the give and take - the shyly touching simple joys - of friendship.

From the book's description: Mimi and Papa's farm is famous for growing pumpkins. And their grandson, Peter, tends them all. When a little girl comes to the farm looking for the perfect pumpkin, will Peter give up his pumpkin and gain a friend?

Moulton's prose so perfectly blends with Good's comfortable illustrations (can illustrations provoke a feeling of comfort?!) together they tenderly weave this story in such a simple yet eloquent way it begs to be shared with dear friends, new and old.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Very Best Pumpkin.