hayden's Reviews > Heartless

Heartless by Sara Shepard

Sep 16, 2010

bookshelves: omfg-amazing, ending-rocked, f-ckin-amazing, fantastic-series, favorites, i-just-shit-bricks, i-heart-the-characters, lots-of-tension, mega-sucky-cover, own-it, thrilling, ★★★★★
Read on October 02, 2011 , read count: 1.5

Heartless is, without a doubt, the best installment so far.
You could tell from the very beginning that the end was going to be worthy of shitting bricks, and upon arriving at that point, I realized it's very true.

In Heartless, the girls are kind of split up. Hanna is sent to a mental institution because of her big problem she's had her whole life, which I'm not going to get into detail about to spare you the details. Emily is sent to an Amish community by A to investigate, and she finds some interesting things. Spencer is still delving into the past of her family, and realizes she has a much closer connection to one of her friends than she thought. Aria looks into mediums, trying to come into contact with Ali's ghost, and she makes a shocking discovery.

While Heartless may be the best PLL installment to date, it's also the shortest, and I can't tell yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Wanted, the eighth book, is even shorter than Heartless, totaling 259 pages. Heartless is 274. The girls have been saying some things that have been proven wrong, and the community of Rosewood starts blaming them for certain things and not believing them about others. The drama takes a step up in this book as well: Spencer's family drama is one of my favorite themes interspersed in these pages, and Hanna's drama with fellow inpatients at the hospital is intense.

Aria starts falling for someone that I wouldn't have suspected at all. The things they go to together, including a very dramatic party, are captivating. I read this book within the course of a few hours in one day, so everything is still really fresh in my mind.

The girls' primary focus at this point is not necessarily who is sending them odd text messages anymore, but more who killed Ali. Their discovery is shocking. But is it true? What you find out at the end is quite contradicting to that theory. Something else happens at the very end of the novel, and it happens within the last three pages. That's something Sara Shepard is known to do: leave you with this ticking bomb that keeps on ticking during your wait for the next book. It's freaking intense, that's what it is.

Heartless, once again, is the best installment in the PLL series to date, and honestly, I can't wait until I can finish Wanted and know how the series was originally supposed to end before the four books were added.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartless.

10/02/2011 page 48
18.0% "I loved that scene. <3 <3 <3"
10/02/2011 page 67
24.0% "Folded all the laundry in my house . . . took an hour, but at least now I can get back to HEARTLESS!"
10/02/2011 page 74
27.0% "So, what the hell is Emily supposed to do? A sure wrote a lot in that note."
10/02/2011 page 132
48.0% "Good...very good."
03/29/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Kelani Loved your summary! I agree, best book of series thus far!