Cindy's Reviews > Winter Shadows

Winter Shadows by Margaret Buffie

Oct 07, 10

bookshelves: early-reviewers, teen, 19th-century

Themes: stepfamilies, grief, romance, race, Christmas
Setting: modern Manitoba, Canada and 1856 Manitoba

Cass is dreading Christmas, her first with her new stepmother and stepsister, and a reminder that her mother is gone for good. School stinks and her father is almost a stranger.

Then she finds a brooch and it seems that she now has a link to the past. She is seeing things that happened in her house 150 years ago.

Beatrice has been away at school and doesn't really know her new stepmother, but she can't wait to get home to her beloved Cree grandmother. She takes a job at the local girls' school and tries to find a way to get along with her stepmother. She's also torn between her possible romance with the new preacher in town and her infuriating new stepbrother.

Cass and Beatrice have their stories wound together and see visions of one another. Now Cass wants to know, who will Beatrice choose? And can her situation help Cass now with her problems?

I liked this story. It might be just a little light, but I liked the characters and the story. I really liked the way the Cree story was woven in. 4 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Shadows.