JSA Lowe's Reviews > A Home at the End of the World

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

Oct 16, 10

bookshelves: francesca-lia-block

This was much better than I expected, given my loathing of The Hours--kind of like Cunningham's Mysteries of Pittsburgh. It was handy during two nights of bad insomnia and I rather doubt I'll ever read it again. But some evocative descriptions. Particularly, and unexpectedly, of Arizona:
"I'm glad you came home for a little while," my father said. "You're looking a little pale, if you want to know the truth."

"Everyone in New York is pale this time of year," I said. "Maybe I'll move to Arizona."

"Why would you want to move here?" my father said, rattling the Yahtzee dice in their cup. "There's nothing for a young person to do."

"What do you do here?"

"Nothing. There's really nothing for anybody to do." He rolled the dice. "Small straight," he said. "Do you want another drink?"

The book is shot through with the terrible wistfulness of the earliest part of the AIDS epidemic in NYC; so there's that too. I thought it fairly bien fait, capturing the end of the 70s beautifully, much better than those loathsome Armisted Maupin books. Memorable nostalgic passages, especially if you grew up back East. Overall a slight piece of writing, but a promising first novel. Too bad it went downhill from here.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home at the End of the World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Moira Russell YOU ALSO LOATHE THE HOURS OMFG I LOVE YOU. Nearly everyone I know seems to love it and I go around muttering darkly about how he not only warped Mrs Dalloway (with the STUPID son subplot) but mashed together one of Woolf's most creative fruitful periods with the fatal mental illness at the end of her life and hence made her seem like Just Another Crazy Writer Lady. GAHHH I hate that book.

message 2: by JSA (new) - rated it 3 stars

JSA Lowe There is even a Team GR thread where, I believe, I fulminate at some length about my dislike of the film, too, which is really unfair of me.

Moira Russell J.S.A. wrote: "There is even a Team GR thread where, I believe, I fulminate at some length about my dislike of the film, too, which is really unfair of me."

REALLY. TEAM GR 4EVA.