Alyssa's Reviews > What Color Is Your Parachute 2002: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters & Career-Changers

What Color Is Your Parachute 2002 by Richard N. Bolles

Sep 16, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction

I find this book vastly over-rated.

I got it my Sr. year of college, at the recommendation of an academic advisor (the need for which I also found to be highly over-rated), and it did nothing for me. Yes, I ended up in an industry I LOVED, in a job that fit me well, but with no thanks to this book. It taught me nothing about myself I didn't already know and gave me little useful knowledge to go about my job hunt.

I suppose it could prove quite useful for someone who 1) lacks an intuitive introspection, 2) is entirely without direction, or 3) is largely without empolyable skill that really would benifit from focusing on a niche.

The questions posed in the book might also be very beneficial for high school students to read and may help focus their efforts, thoughts, and actions toward an end goal--even if they change their mind, a teen pondering questions like "what do I want to do?" and "where do I want to do it" will have a serious leg up on their peers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Color Is Your Parachute 2002.