~Tina~'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Mar 15, 11

bookshelves: arc, young-adult, apocalyptic-dystopian, favorites, read-2011, own
Read from March 14 to 15, 2011

Said to rival the much devoured Hunger Games series, Divergent is in fantastic company. And while it's not quite there yet, I say give it time. Does it live up to the hype? Hell yeah! Is it well on it's way? Dame straight!

This book is made of pure awesomesauce!
It's action punched, gripping, intense, edgy, captivating and has a very sweet and surprising romance. It's about control and choices, betrayal and love. It's everything I look for an escape and if anything convinces me that these kind of books are my exact ideal. I crave the rush and the heart pounding energy. Something that realistic-dystopian can't give me.

Love, love love these characters! Tris is incredible and I love that you actually get to witness that flip being switched where we see her go from doubting and scared to angry and kick-ass. She's amazing!
Then there is Four, whom I completely adore! Not only is he strong and powerful but it's the way he controls that power that thrills me.
The way he keeps Tris at arms length but at the same time just wants to pull her closer. All of there moments are absolutely delicious and I want more!!
Some of the secondary characters were very easy to despise. Asshat Eric being the main one and Peter being his asshat double is another. So bravo to Veronica Roth for writing them so viciously. I hated their guts, so job well done!
I don't want to say anything to much about the other characters, but I really did like Christina and am worried about what she'll do in the next book. I don't know how the rest of the series will play out now, but I will say that I hope Eric and Peter get the boot.
Just saying.

Bottom line, I LOVED this book! An instant favorite and goes right next to my Huger Games and Maze Runner books! I fear I'm addicted to high speed survival-dystopian and can't wait to see what Roth as in store for us in the next book!
Divergent is freaken brilliant and a remarkable debut!!

Bring on the sequel!!!

Special thanks to Alexa for sharing her copy! <3!!!
Crystal, you next;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

03/14/2011 page 100
20.0% "Yeah...I want Eric to die. Now!" 7 comments
03/14/2011 page 250
50.0% "I think I should stop for the night. I want to read more, but some of these character are so.freaken.easy.to.hate. that it's giving me a negitive outcome. And THIS book is awesomesauce, so yes, I shall stop for the night..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alexa This sounds really interesting. :D

~Tina~ Doesn't it?? I think I'm gonna tag it a must read! I hate long wait though, so impatient:(

Alexa Yay! Can't wait to know what you think. :)

message 4: by ~Tina~ (last edited Mar 14, 2011 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ It takes a bit trying to find out what faction does what or what they represent, but I like it so far:)

Alexa You'll get the hang of it. ;) Glad you're liking it. :)

Arlene Oh I can't wait to read this!

~Tina~ You'll love it! ^^

Crystal Awesome review! I can't wait to get my little hands on this one!!

~Tina~ I'll send it later today! I hope you love this:D

Alexa Enjoyed your review! Knew you would love this one. :D

~Tina~ You were right my friend, this was a great escape! Thanks so much once again for sharing it! I could kiss you! xo

Crystal Yea!! I will read it asap so I can send it to the next person. Thanks Alexa for sharing!!

Alexa Happy to share it! :)

Arlene Gawd I can't wait for my turn!!! This sounds fricken AWESOME!!! Perfect review Tina!!

~Tina~ Thankies! I hope you enjoy this! I tend to give to much umpf when I feel most passionate about books that effect me >.< lol

Arlene Oh me too, me too. What can I say?? I get excited about what I'm reading sometimes. :D

~Tina~ I know, that's why I lub you! lol

message 18: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Can't wait to read this!

Great review, Tina. :)

~Tina~ Thanks hun!

message 20: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Woo hoo! 5 stars! Love your review Twinie and am even more excited to start this :)

~Tina~ Thanks twinie! Hope you likey:)

Debra Driza Great review! Totally agree--especially re: awesome action, hating asshats Peter and Eric, and *swoons* FOUR! =D

~Tina~ Thanks Debra! Eric and Peter really were asshats! lol

FOUR <3!!!

Pallavi how did u get a ARC?

~Tina~ Mortalinstruments3 wrote: "how did u get a ARC?"

A friend shared her Arc with me:)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Could you describe Four in one word and could you describe Four and Tris' relationship in one word?

~Tina~ Four...integrity. Four and Tris...Inevitable;)

Amber Okay...Since i haven't started Morganville yet, read Divergent or Glass Houses first???

~Tina~ Read this one first, once you start Morganville, and if you like it, then your going to want to read the rest in a row ;-)

Amber That's kinda what I was thinking too. I did buy the first book on my Nook but a buddy of mine has all of them I'm going to borrow. Great review by the way! I've been itching to read this one.

~Tina~ Thanks hun:) I really loved this book. Definitely my kind of dystopian. I loved the rush! That reminds me, I need to pick this up soon since it's already on the shelves:D

Amber I hear ya!! I have a list going and it seems to be getting quite long lol.

~Tina~ Ha! Tell me about it babe. I'm so behind on the books I've already read but need to own. Oh well, at least I know there good and will have a place on my shelf eventually.
~sigh~ I hate book diets. Boo!

Amber Lol. Book diets are no good!!

~Tina~ Nope. They suck =(

Rafael i dont think it rivals the hunger games. i mean, i loved them both but i dont see how they rival each other. the backgrounds of the two books/series are very different

April LOVELY review i enjoyed the book just as much glad to know you think the same :D

~Tina~ Thanks April!:)

Laraine Love your review! I feel the same way about this book. It might not outshine THG but I still think it deserves a spot right next to it, sort of like a baby THG :) Four! <3

~Tina~ This book was awesome! I can't wait to re-read it but it's currently a hot-potato within the family, I'm not sure who has it at the moment actually:p