Terri's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Mar 09, 11

Read in March, 2011

Loved it!!
Was reminiscent of John Irving and John Steinbeck.
Favorite Quote:
"The key to your happiness is to own your slippers, own who you are, own how you look, own your family, own the talents you have, and the ones you don't. If you keep saying your slippers aren't yours, then you will die searching, you'll die bitter, always feeling you were promised more. Not only our actions, but also our omissions, become our destiny." Ghosh
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

03/09/2011
100.0% "I loved this book! It was reminiscent of a John Irving in Prayer for Owen Meany, how all roads to the story lead up to a dramatic and emotional ending, or John Steinbeck in East of Eden with insight into good and evil, fate and destiny,love and forgiveness following generations of one family."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kent (new)

Kent Horner From the review......Marion and Shiva Stone are twin brothers born of a secret union between a beautiful Indian nun and a brash British surgeon at a mission hospital in Addis Ababa................ Yet it will be love, not politics—their passion for the same woman—

I smell trouble!!!! I think I'll add this to my "to read list" also.

message 1: by Kent (new)

Kent Horner I picked up the paperback edition while at Costco and brought it home a few weeks ago. Alicia read it and she enjoyed it very much. Still on my "to read " list but, after Alicia's review, it has moved up.