Steph's Reviews > Girl, Stolen

3192797
Nov 29, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from October 17 to November 21, 2010

I received this book for free as a review copy from the Goodreads First Reads program. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed Girl, Stolen and read the bulk of it in one sitting. What initially drew me to the book was the cover art. I really like the symbolism of the little girl covering her eyes, most of us do it when afraid, but for the heroine of the story it is something she must live with every day as a blind person. Cheyenne does find herself in a terrifying situation, she is kidnapped and held captive by four men, but she has no need to cover her eyes since an accident has caused her to lose her sight. She must rely on her intelligence and her other senses in order to make it out alive.

I think this is a very gripping young adult novel and young people will find a character they can relate to in Cheyenne Wilder. While I didn't find this to be a life-changing novel myself, in my opinion this book is best suited for its intended audience of teenagers (some YA books can cross this line while others do not), it definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things that I didn't know about blind people. I think it is a worthy read (for anyone) for the insight it offers into the life of someone who is living without their sight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Stolen.

11/06/2010 page 28