Dustin's Reviews > Wolves of the Calla

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: re-read, favorites
Read from May 15 to July 07, 2012

Hmmm... what to say about Wolves.. It's been about a week and a half since I finished reading it, and I remain uncertain as to how I actually feel about it.

First and foremost is Sai King's exquisite writing. It has never disappointed me in the past, and this certainly isn't an exception. If anything, my second journey with Roland and his ka-tet has served to heighten my heartfelt appreciation and respect for his work.
I also love the Calla, how it's vividly described, and all it entails. I especially enjoyed the incorporation of Pere Callahan's character. However, I'm not sure if his extensive back story was entirely necessary to the Tet's quest. Admittedly, I think it's relevant to the series, and it certainly goes far toward character development, but I ask again: it it wholly necessary? That I cannot say. It's definitely interesting, though.
But the Father (Donald Callahan, from 'Salem's Lot,) isn't the only one "telling tales." There are two additional ones told, which are-in the long run-helpful in figuring out the mystery that is Wolves of the Calla. One, in particular, brings to light a HUGE advantage in the form of Susannah's Riza throwing abilities.

Additionally, I very much enjoyed the friendship between Jake and Benny Slightman the Younger.

As for the actually battle itself, it almost seems anti-climatic, due mostly to the nearly constant up-build and hype throughout the novel, and the fact that it lasts a mere five minutes.
Keep in mind, I said "almost anti-climatic." With the unanticipated and sudden cliffhanger, I think King makes up for the slight letdown of a battle.

All in all, another fantastic Dark Tower installment!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolves of the Calla.

Quotes Dustin Liked

Stephen King
“Mister, we deal in lead.”

Stephen King
“She put a hand on his hip and turned him to her. "But things could go wrong, so i want to tell you something while it's just the two of us, Eddie. I want to tell you how much I love you." She spoke simply, with no drama.
I know you do," he said, "but I'll be damned if I know why."
Because you made me feel whole," she said. "When I was younger, I used to vacillate between thinking love was this great and glorious mystery and thinking it was just something a bunch of Hollywood move producers made up to sell more tickets in the Depression, when Dish Night kind of played out."
Eddie laughed.
Now I think that all of us are born with a hole in our hearts, and we go around looking for the person who can fill it. You...Eddie, you fill me up.”

Stephen King
“It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright.”

Stephen King
“No one ever does live happily ever after, but we leave the children to find that out for themselves.”
tags: life

Stephen King
“I wanted to say goodbye to someone, and have someone say goodbye to me. The goodbyes we speak and the goodbyes we hear are the goodbyes that tell us we´re still alive.”

Stephen King
“It didn´t occur to me until later that there´s another truth, very simple: greed in a good cause is still greed.”

Stephen King
“Jake stood on the corner of Second and Forty-sixth, looking at a board fence about five feet high. Tears were streaming down his cheeks. From the darkness beyond the fence cam a strong harmonic humming. The sound of many voices, all singing together. Singing one vast open note. 'Here is yes,' the voices said. 'Here is you may. Here is the good turn, the fortunate meeting, the fever that broke just before dawn and left your blood calm. Here is the wish that came true and the understanding eye. Here is the kindness you were given and thus learned to pass on. Here is the sanity and clarity you thought were lost. Here, everything is all right.”

Stephen King
“The expression Jake saw on all the faces, oldest to youngest, was the same: pure joy. Not just that, he thought, and remembered a phrase his English teacher had used about how some books make us feel: the ecstasy of perfect recognition.”

05/16/2012 page 36