Erin's Reviews > Cleo

Cleo by Helen Brown

Mar 24, 11

Read in March, 2011

Was Cleo incredibly different from Marley and Me or Dewey the Library Cat or The Art of Racing in the Rain? No. But was it still an enjoyable read? Yes!

Helen Brown has been dealt a bad hand in life. Every time I thought nothing more could possibly go wrong for her, something else did. Who was there to save Helen? To be with her at every twist and turn? Not a man (though one or two of those popped up throughout the book), not a friend (though I really did like Ginny), but a small, black cat with a fetish for socks and human food: Cleo.

I adored Cleo. I laughed at her antics and compared them to my own trouble-making cat's shenanigans. I felt her rumbling purrs and the love she had for her family. I marveled at the way she really did mend Helen and her family, just by being herself.

The best sections of the book, the ones that I read for pages and pages without noticing the passing time, were the ones about Cleo. The slower sections, the ones that left me ready for the book to be over, were the ones strictly about Helen's life, with little to no mention of Cleo. Those sections were necessary to tell Helen's story, but they weren't necessarily what I was looking for when I picked up this "cat book."

Yes, I did get a little bit teary at the end of the book, but I did not breakdown into hysterics like I did when I finished reading Marley and Me. It was a fitting ending to an enjoyable book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleo.