Joy's Reviews > The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian

The Story We Find Ourselves In by Brian D. McLaren

F_50x66
Mar 12, 08

bookshelves: religious-discussion
Read in March, 2008

Not quite a novel, this is a postmodern theology presented through the postmodern medium of narrative. I'm curious as to how people of other backgrounds might respond to this book. Although some of McLaren's descriptions of Christian concepts are lofty and inspiring, I can't help but feel that this book fails both as an intellectual defense of postmodern theology and as a believable story. For my part, as a Christian who holds to a high view of Scripture, I feel very uncomfortable with the way postmodern theology bends the Bible to mean whatever the theologian subjectively sees or wants to see; and I am particularly dissatisfied with where McLaren ends up as a result. From the standpoint of story, I also find it hard to believe that McLaren's characters--supposed intellectuals and scientists--would buy Neo's "story we find ourselves in" merely for its subjective beauty without deeply questioning its objective validity. However, I must give McLaren kudos for figuring out a way to make a book on theology a lot less painful to read than it could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story We Find Ourselves In.