Raina's Reviews > Ship Breaker

Sep 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia, ya
Read from September 16 to 29, 2010

A nicely unique take on the dystopia genre. The very particular tale of a person very much not in power or aware of the bigger picture of his world. The characters were well developed, and the adventure rolled out quite effortlessly. I was surprised when I was half-way through. I still felt something missing, though. I wasn't quite engrossed, I didn't feel completely connected with the characters. The romance felt tacked on/nonexistent. Our hero is missing so much knowledge, I wanted more information. But it was good. And it has a great cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship Breaker.

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Ooooh! Tell me what you thing when you're done! I really want to read this one, but I have been burned by some teen dystopia lately, so I don't have the heart to risk it again ;)

Raina Now I'm all curious about which dystopia burned you and how. :) Will do! I got an ARC at PLA, and am speeding along.

message 3: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca I couldn't get into "Birthmarked" by Caragh M. O'Brien, and I absolutely threw down "Nomansland" by Leslie Hauge. I should have expected it, because for a long time I was reading nothing but interesting and fun books, it's the law of averages. I hope you like this one!

Raina Both of those got majorly talked up at PLA - I suspect they were created "after" the Hunger Games got popular, instead of a more original motivation... Sad, really.

Agathafrye I have this at home right now, I read his adult book and thought it was really intriguing.