Jo (My House of Books)'s Reviews > Promise Me Tonight

Promise Me Tonight by Sara Lindsey

Sep 16, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read in March, 2010

The beginning of a series? Check. Love with best friend's sister trope? Check. Debut author with a good deal of buzz? Check.

One of my favorite romantic tropes is falling in love with BFF's sister/brother. I may like this type of story more than a secret baby plot. Regardless, what I loved about Isabella Weston is her confidence. Confident she loves James; confident that James loves her (especially after her coming out); confident they belong together.

The final third of the book doesn't sit well with me because Izzie has lost this spark, this drive, this confidence. Certainly, she's been through a ordeal until this point of the book -- no one blames her for her decisions or her reactions to the hand life has dealt her. I just wanted her to react differently and felt disappointed when she didn't, when she seemingly lost all her previous gumption and determination and, yes, confidence until James decides to pull his head out of the sand.

That being said, Ms. Lindsey crafts a well-rounded and strong heroine, qualities I hope I see again in June with Tempting the Marquess, which features Isabella's younger sister, Olivia.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Me Tonight.