Lauren's Reviews > The Supernaturalist

The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer

Sep 16, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: action-and-or-adventure, science-fiction
Recommended for: Freshmen in high school and younger (unless you really like sci-fi)
Read in September, 2010

Truly, this was a disappointment to me... while it has gripping action scenes and interesting characters, I expected as much originality from Eoin Colfer's as in his Artemis Fowl series. This book resonated as more of the same disgusting/dark future tale with just a different mystery about it. I think that the major problem I had was that I felt I was just too old for this book when I read it. Thus, I would encourage only people younger than 17yrs to read it.

As I have said, this is your typical science-fictiony book; the future is not as good and free as it used to be due to our horrible human nature/evil powerful corporations. A no-sponsor, a boy who's parents are gone, narrates the story. Like all the cliches state, he must be in an orphanage, and it must be living hell. And it is. The book follows his story, and I would say more, but I won't, because it would be unfortunate to give anything away about this predicable book.

p.s. One note of originality, I did quite enjoy the lawyers transformation in this novel (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Supernaturalist.