Candise's Reviews > Fingersmith

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Jan 10, 08

bookshelves: top-ten, queer, victorian
Read in October, 2007

A friend knocked on my door one evening and I answered, looking disheveled and I think a bit frightened. She asked me what was wrong, if she had interrupted something. I said no, that I had just been reading Fingersmith and I was really stressed out because now I had to leave the house and didn't know what was going to happen next. And that is basically how this book took over my life (in a good way).

Sue is an orphan who lives in London in a house of petty thieves. A con man known as Gentleman convinces her to take a position as the maid of young wealthy heiress Maud Lilly, and in doing so, help him seduce and swindle her. The intimate nature of their relationship as well as the underlying plot allow the two girls to grow much closer than either anticipated, as each one has so much at stake.

I literally couldn't put this book down. When I had to leave the house I took it with me, hoping that I might get a moment to read a little further. There were so many plot twists, but the amazing thing was that it was actually smart and unpredictable.

I gasped out loud. I actually yelled, "No fucking way!!" on page 183 (only a third of the way into the novel). When I wasn't reading, I used up my brainpower guessing about what would happen next, how the heroines could get out of the situation. To put it bluntly, I was obsessed. Everyone I've talked to about this book has had the same experiences. So if you enjoy obsessing and agonizing over a novel that will overtake your life for at least a week and make you anxious and excited, then this is definitely the book for you. In fact, if you love fiction at all, you should read this book immediately.
39 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fingersmith.

Pavita Great review! This is exactly how I feel about the book. You described it so well. :)

Candise Pavita wrote: "Great review! This is exactly how I feel about the book. You described it so well. :)"

Thanks!

message 3: by Ena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ena This is PRECISELY how I felt when I read this book six years ago. Completely took over my life.

message 4: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara I was just freed from this book! I could not put it down, I brought it to work scheming ways to sneak in a few lines.

message 5: by Sara (new) - added it