Jane Stewart's Reviews > Only You

Only You by Francis Ray

Sep 16, 10

bookshelves: african-american-contemporary-roman
Read in June, 2008

Did not enjoy it. I wanted it to be over.

The two main characters are too perfect. They are both rich, beautiful, smart and do everything better than anyone else. She wears the best clothes, does the best job, drives fast, gets on a tempermental horse but gallops away competently, and saves the day at a wedding by playing the harp when the hired harpist doesn't show. I was a little bored with all the perfection. Then I was bored, waiting for the relationship to take off. They both were attracted to each other but kept postponing intimacy for most of the book. For example on page 199, he said "why don't we put each other out of our misery?", then they start kissing, then he said "I'd better go." This unrealistic delaying did not make a good story.

CAUTION SPOILER: I was mad at Sierra at the end, when she got mad at Blade for having a security person follow her. Sierra knew Blade feared she might get kidnapped, but she made him call off security saying she could take care of herself. Then shortly thereafter, she was careless and was kidnapped. She was stupid to get rid of her security.

Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: five. Setting: current day San Francisco, Dallas and Mexico. Copyright: 2007. Genre: contemporary African-American romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only You.