Brittany M.'s Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Apr 12, 14

bookshelves: faeries, favorites
Read on October 06, 2010

Absolutely fantastic. Probably the best fae story I’ve read. Think Alice in Wonderland, crossed with The Spiderwick Chronicles and the characters from A Midsummer Nights Dream. Highly recommended!

I was absolutely floored at how brilliant this novel was. Each character is fantastically woven and unique. I can’t possibly pick who is my favourite. Julie Kagawa takes the faerie lore and adds her own spin; by introducing the Iron Fey, a race of faerie born of our technology-fuelled minds.

I was teetering between Team Ash to Team Puck the whole way through. I JUST CAN’T DECIDE. As I mentioned in my review of Clockwork Angel, I’m usually quick to decide which male lead I prefer, but The Iron King once again had me torn. Sweet, comical Puck who is as loyal as they come or ferocious and dark Prince Ash?

My heart.

About halfway through the novel, I was sure I was Team Puck. Then, that changed. I have The Iron Daughter, so I think I will wait until I read that to make up my mind (hopefully I can!)

Puck reminds me a lot of Peter Pan, a character I’ve always held fond feelings for. Anyone else feel this similarity? I loved his ‘summer’ powers, blowing things into dandelions and creating copies of himself from leaves and twigs.

Ash’s powers come from the Winter court (since he is of course, son of the Unseelie Queen Mab) and they’re pretty awesome as well. He can create blizzards, whistle snowstorms and ice shards.

Which brings me to the action scenes, they were so well written. Often in stories I find my mind racing around in confusion when the big battles are played out. I hate having to go back and re-read paragraphs to really get what just happened. I didn’t do that once with The Iron King. You can just see everything play out as if it were right in front of you. That’s a huge deal for me!

Also, Grim was so adorable! I was immediately reminded of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland! His constant “Well, I am a cat” made me giggle. His resigned personality worked well with his brand of humour and I really enjoyed his scenes. Basically, I loved the little quartet of Meghan, Ash, Puck and Grim.

What puts me off giving a full 5/5 is that some scenes felt unnecessary. Looking back on the journey they took, a lot of it seemed a bit cluttered with all the detours. Yes, it did help us feel attached to the characters, but it also made me feel as if the story was taking too long to actually get anywhere. The whole business with Shard and the troll, Meghan working in the kitchens… etc. These things would probably put me off re-reading it again in the near future.

But, if you haven’t read it yet and have been thinking about doing so, DO. You won’t be disappointed! While I did enjoy Tithe by Holly Black, I didn’t love it like a lot of other readers. I most definitely prefer Julie Kagawa’s story.

Recommended to: Anyone that’s a fan of fae stories. However, if you’re ‘tired’ of them, this one is also a good pick. Like I mentioned, it’s got it’s own unique spin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

10/06/2010 page 298
82.0% "LOVING this so far. Puck or Ash, PUCK OR ASH?!"