Donna Happy Booker's Reviews > Lord of the Fading Lands

Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson

Sep 18, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, recommended, read-in-2010, high-fantasy
Read from September 15 to 18, 2010

This is a little outside of what I normally read, much more focused on romance. However, I loved it all the same. My complaint with the book would be that I dislike how it came to a rather abrupt end without any kind of resolution. Luckily, I do have the rest of the series here so I'll be able to continue right away.

In this story, Rain, the King and Tairen Soul of the Fey fears the end of his people and is looking for a way to save them, there are too few and most still carry shadows of the war of 1000 years ago within their own souls. As he searches for a solution, he hears a 'true mate' call from the city and finds himself in front of what appears to be a mortal girl, Ellie, who captures him heart and soul, binding him to her. Ellie who has been raised to be afraid of all things magic, has nonetheless always had a fascination for all things fey and for Rain Tairen soul in particular. So no one is more surprised than she when he claims her as his true mate.

This is a beautifully written story about how Rain and Ellie begin falling in love, with some very emotional touching scenes. At the same time they deal with a society that looks down on her for her common birth, and distrust of him because he is fey, as well as trying to convince everyone of the evil presence of the Eld mages that Rain feels becoming strong in the world again.

I look forward to finding out how this story continues in the rest of the series. I would have liked more plot and more resolution which keeps me from rating this a 5, but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Fading Lands.

09/15/2010 "30 minutes into this and I'm already annoyed with Stephanie Riggio's narration. First the heavy breathing like she just finished running 10 miles before reading a chapter, then (and most annoying) she just pronounced a word (indignantly) as IN DIG ANTLY (and I feel a bit "indigNant" about it...)"
09/16/2010
35.0% "Ok, this would be a lot better with a different narrator, but as it is, I love the story so am not as distracted as I was at the beginning w/ the narration quality. In some ways it reminds me of Anne Bishops Dark Jewels series w/ the over-protective men."
show 1 hidden update…