Cathy 's Reviews > Touched by an Alien

Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: humor, paranormal, read-in-2011, romance, science-fiction, psychics-telepathy, twitter-author
Recommended to Cathy by: buckeyegirl31
Read from January 05 to 09, 2011

My friends are going to be mad at me, but I really disliked this book. I wrote 2 pages of notes about things that annoyed me. I wanted to stop reading several times, but kept going because I hoped to discover what it was that everyone adored so much. It didn't happen.

I will say that I liked the characters. Sort of. I liked their personalities. They felt real. Except that everything else about them and the entire story was just absurd. Completely ridiculous. Kitty is just a Mary Jane, a marketing manager who's suddenly thrust into a bizarre situation who not only thrives, but is a better fighter instantly than trained agents, and a better military commander within days than people who've dedicated their whole lives to it. And solves major problems that people who are supposed to be geniuses have been working on for over 100 years in 10 minutes. She's better at everything than everyone else, makes no mistakes, knows the answer in every situation and is perfect in every way.

Kitty's parents' personalities and interactions with their daughter and others are terrific, but their back story is ridiculous. Everything is ridiculous. There's just too, too, too much of it. There could have been a good story here, if there wasn't so much absurdity. It's the author's personal Men In Black fantasy gone wild, but not in a fun way. I like silliness. I love banter. But it has to make a little bit of sense and be somewhat relevant to the story. I could go on and on and on about the details that annoyed me. Maybe it was supposed to be funny that all of this stuff would be piled together one absurdity on top of another, but I hated it. I need an actual story that makes sense to go with my banter and romance. And I actually found the Mossad thing offensive, as well as stupid. The only non-Jewish, non-Israeli Mossad agent at age 19? Why was that necessary? American wouldn't have been good enough? And her dad's job? For NASA? And what the heck was the thing about the robot?!? And the point that they couldn't kill the monsters when they looked like humans because they'd look like terrorists themselves, but it was OK to let them kill a lot of people and destroy a lot of property and then manipulate the media after to makes sure that no one knew; so who would know enough to think they were terrorists? This is typical of the entire book; the author has a cool idea and writes circles around it to try to make it hold water instead of just coming up with ideas that make sense in the first place. And the religious angle, and the explanation for why Kitty got involved? Just dumb. The whole thing was just dumb to me.

I liked the chemistry between Kitty, Jeff and Christoper. I liked the personalities of most of the characters. I liked that Kitty was smart and brave. I loved the extra hold hair spray. I hated everything else. To me it was all gimmick (after gimmick after gimmick...) and no substance. It's too bad, these characters deserved a lot better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touched by an Alien.

01/05/2011 page 58
15.0% "LOTS of lecturing, but at least broken up by cute banter. Like that Kitty's "superpower" is her intelligence."
01/05/2011 page 59
15.0% "It always strikes me odd when the women don't call the men by their first names, even love interests. Unless they're in the military."
01/05/2011 page 82
21.0% "I'm hesitant to pick on it too much b/c my friends love it. I have 2 pages of snarky comments already. But it's often absurd in a non-funny, too much fantasy to be fun way. The only non-Jewish non-Israeli Mossad agent? American wasn't good enough, esp since she was sponsored by an American Senator? (And why? Dumb detail.) And he was impressed that a non-Jew lived in Israel? Tons do, how ignorant."
01/08/2011 page 150
39.0% "I dislike a lot of things about this books, but I like Kitty. She's the only thing that feels real."