Noah's Reviews > The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self

The Shadow Effect by Deepak Chopra

Oct 09, 10

Recommended to Noah by: new book shelf at the library
Recommended for: people who are afraid of their own shadow
Read from September 15 to October 02, 2010

When I was reading this book, I was a little disappointed in it, but at the same time, I could tell that it was having a positive effect in my life by giving me additional tools to approach my own shadow.

Whereas someone like Gary Zukov would call the shadow "frightened parts of our personality," I appreciated the way that this book emphasized the collective shadow. While I’m always trying to work on myself when something bothers me (as opposed to blaming the other person or situation), sometimes that can make it seem like I’m the only one who has issues to work through. The idea of a collective shadow helps me to empathize with others more and to be reassured that other people have the same struggles that I do.

I liked when Debbie Ford described how earlier in her life she “tricked people into believing [her] smoke-and-mirrors act.” When I meet people who appear to be successful, I’m always curious to know if they are truly fulfilled or if they’re hiding their inner struggles. OK, I mostly think that the majority of people do have inner wounds that they have not consciously approached, but maybe that’s just me projecting.

Part of me really doesn’t want to post this review because it would mean acknowledging that I have a shadow. I’m OK with admitting that to myself; I know it’s there, I deal with it everyday. But it’s something we want to hide from others. But I actually don’t like it when people hide their shadow from me and pretend that everything is OK. When I get to know someone, I want to know all of the parts of them. I’m really interested in how people deal with their shadows, and I admire people who have learned how to overcome or manage parts of it.

So, in the interest of casting light on my shadow and encouraging others who are interested in exploring their shadow, I will share this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Effect.