Cinnamon's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011, sci-fi, dystopian, young-adult, reviewed, series, 3-mildly-enjoyable
Read from January 23 to 24, 2011

This review may also be found on A Thousand Little Pages.

Across the Universe was certainly an unique read, and I, being one of those guilty people who often judge books by their covers, started reading with a sky-high stack of expectations. These obviously stemmed not just from the gorgeous cover, but also from the praises YA bloggers were singing to the heavens about the book.

I liked it, but the feeling was laced with disappointment. I had to constantly stifle the urge to yell insults at Elder throughout, since he acted like an idiot most of the time. I do get that he was raised that way and is still in the process of escaping from Eldest's clutches, but couldn't Elder have, oh I dunno, grown a spine faster? Since he is one of the central characters. It seemed as if Amy was the one doing all the work while Elder drifted along and just happened to appear at crucial moments and learn important pieces of information to contribute.

The descriptions of The Season was, like others before me have mentioned, quite disturbing. They were repeated, too, as if to remind the reader that, hey look, there's another couple going at it over there, you know, in case you forgot. It succeeded in increasing the believability of the novel, but was it really necessary? In a YA novel, too.

And alas, the ending, or lack of. The climax of the novel seemed to be nonexistent. I was excitedly flipping the pages, wondering what sort of argument or revelation was going to occur and end the novel with a bang. Well, the bang never came. There was no real resolution, either, which bothered me to no end. I guess I prefer stories that are tied up with nice little polka-dotted bows.

The world Beth Revis created was likable, and the sci-fi elements were nicely done, but the plot just fell flat for me. I would still recommend the book, though.

Book Source: Borrowed
1 like · likeflag

01/23/2011 page 0
0.0% "It's really annoying when libraries tape up hardcover books, rendering the designs on the inside of the book jacket "un-seeable." Ha, too bad, I just dismantled their sophisticated book covering to look at the intense space ship map on this one. Don't worry, it's not vandalism. The library wrapping is now back in place..." 5 comments
01/23/2011 page 82
21.0% "Meh, the plot is moving very slowwwly..."
01/24/2011 page 398
100.0% "Lovely premise. Engaging characters. I felt like there wasn't really a climax or a conclusion, though."