Lyndsey's Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-5-stars, reviewed-2010, audiobooks, about-kidnapping-abduction, favorites
Read in September, 2010

This book completely reaffirmed my fascination with the beautiful land that is Australia.

But the people who live there seem to want everyone to think it's a lot like this:

Or this:

Or even this:

Gemma, just a regular 16 year old school girl, has been captured by a handsome and alluring young Australian man named Ty. Although Gemma seems to think so, it never feels like she's in any imminent danger, from Ty at least. From the environment - yes.

The stakes and suspense don't seem that high, as I fully believed that he never intended to hurt her. Regardless, the author managed to draw me in with every single word.

The story itself is incredible, as is the the writing and character development. I just worry that it's glorifying kidnapping. Cause really, how many child abductors are 20-something sexy Australian men with supermodel looks and a hot bod, who only want to be loved? If I was Gemma, I can't say I would mind.

I mean, I picture him looking a bit like this:

Whoopsie!! Not the right picture! That's from my secret stash... *blushes*

Here the right one:

But our girl is very stubborn and never seems to be giving up on getting away from him. She's resilient and strong and everything you expect the heroine of a young adult novel to be.

And whew! The male lead character Ty, our captor, is really hot. Come on, Gemma. The scene with the paint where he leans in and asks (referring to the paint of course) "Do you want some?" I couldn't help but think heeeeeeeeck yeah.

I imagine if any other girl in the world had been there, she'd be jumping up and down with her hand raised saying "I do, I do."

Ty is extremely charming and a bit of a paradox. He is multiple layered character, who although seems unsocial and outdoorsy, is good with words and can completely make you swoon.

Though most of this is a result of brilliant writing, a lot it also comes from the talented narrator of the audio book.

I know the book alone is amazing, but this one is really worth listening to on audio.

It is the most well read book I have listened to in a long time, probably EVER. The voice of Ty isn't even noticeable as being read by a women. The narrator and the author are both on the exact same wavelength and both nail the complex nature of our male lead as well as the strong willed Gemma.

I do wish things had gone a little differently in the end. I'm not sure that what Gemma did is fully representative of what a normal 16 year old would do, but I guess that what happened is what HAD to happen for the story. The romantic in me just wanted things to be different. I also think I'm suffering from Stockholm Syndrome even more so than Gemma was.

I know that a lot of people won't sympathize with Ty at all. But I'm a sucker for a man with a hot bod and an Australian accent.

Definitely, this is another of my favorite books I've read lately. And my favorite audiobook so far!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

Lyndsey You should! The audiobook is so worth it. The readers voice is beautiful. I had it out from the library but I'm thinking about buying it, too.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

AAAAAAH! When am I going to take my copy????

Lyndsey How pathetic am I? I actually miss Ty. But I think that's the mark of a really well written character. They stay with you and you think about them after the fact.

Man, this book would make a GREAT movie. Hint, hint. Wink, wink, Hollywood. (Yes, I just want to see Ty.) Really though, I'd probably see the movie several times in the theater.

Arlene Well said Lyndsey! I just finished the audio last night and it was one of the better ones IMO. Stockholm Syndrome?? Yup I think I got it too....

Lyndsey Thanks!! The narrator is so so good. I just got Soulless which she also reads, but I haven't started it yet. Here's hoping it will be good!

Arlene Hmmm.... I might check that out. Looking forward to your review!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I am about 30% done with the audiobook (got a copy of the book at the library to read along with it). I totally love the narrator - she is fantastic! But...the story bores me - does it get better?

Lyndsey It does pick up a bit and ALOT of it is about Gemma's internal struggle but it definitely gets more interesting as it goes on...

Lucy The stakes and suspense don't seem that high, as I fully believed that he never intended to hurt her.

I agree completely. I don't think he ever would have let her go. A friend of mine read the book too and her major disappointment was not knowing whether or not Gemma would ever have changed her mind, but I don't think it mattered too much in the end. It was more important to learn that he loved her enough to let her go when it would save her and to stay with her despite the obvious risk of imprisonment.

I definitely got Stockholm Syndrome while I was reading this book, although I would've been a lanquished over no books and no internet even if I had a really hot Australian kidnapper dancing around in body paint. (And even though that last bit sounds ridiculous I still really loved the book.)

Lyndsey Thanks, Lucy. And oh my gawd!! The paint scene! Phew! My favorite part of the book. Easily. That's when I knew I had Stockholm Syndrome.

CorLostForWords I really need to pull this one off my shelf to read. Love the review!

Lyndsey Yes yes! Please do. :-) I don't think you'll regret it. I can't speak to the "reading" experience but the "listening" experience was amazing.

message 13: by Lyndsey (last edited Mar 01, 2011 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyndsey I know. HOT. You do mean the Centaur guy, right? No?! Yeah, I guess the other guy is hot too. *misceivious grin*

Kristy I have wanted to read this book for a while now, your review makes me want to run out like a mad-woman to get it asap!! :)
great review!

Lyndsey Yay for being a mad-woman!! Hehe.

I've noticed that I really like to "yay" at random things. ;-)

Lyndsey Yay for centaurs!!

Kristy hehehe!!!! Yay for good books (i'm in a drought lately)

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ Now I want to read this.... YAY!

Lyndsey Kristy, I am too! I blame it on the Fever books. Have you read them yet? If you even remotely enjoy paranormal, then I think you will love them. But they will ruin you for anything else ever. It's easily my new favorite series.

message 20: by ~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:04AM) (new) - added it

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ I concur with Lyndsey. They are like crack!
My mom is reading them now and I know she is hiding her Nook on her lap under her desk secretly reading while noone is around...
who's done that before? *waving hand*
Because I have...

Kristy i haven't.. I have seen their side affects on here though!!!
I need to just push myself to do it!!!

Lyndsey *slow clap* Do it, do it, do it.

Trust me. Once you get past the first one, you will not be able to STOP.

CorLostForWords hmmm.... Barrons? Anyone? ;)

Lyndsey Where?! *frantically looks around the room*

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ should be more like mmmmmmmmmmm...Barrons

CorLostForWords hahaha yes. My mistake. mmmmmm... Barrons. He's around here somewhere. ;)

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ Probably not. I think Lyndsey whacked him over the head with a tire iron and is now tying him up

Lyndsey *hides rope behind back*

Now what would ever make you think that?

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ because I gave you the rope

Lyndsey Ohhhh, you remember that? I thought I used my Force powers to wipe your memory. Damn! I always forget to do that!!

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ hahaha you have to do the sweeping hand motion in order for The Force to fully work on me lol

message 32: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora I've been listening to audiobooks lately, so I'll have to try and get this one.

Love the review and the second to last photo. ;)

message 33: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic LOL! That is what Australia like sharks everywhere. I see them all the time at the grocery store :P

Great review Lyndsey! And I adore that second to last photo too.

Lyndsey Gotta love the man candy!! Do all the men in Australia look like hunks?

message 35: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Of course ;)

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) lol you forgot to mention that everywhere in australia has snakes, and spiders and kangaroos! lol well thats what everyone assumes lol first time i've heard about everyone thinking your going to be attacked by a shark everywhere.. and about all the guys in Australia being hunks... I wish!

Lyndsey What?! Your ruining my vision of Australia as a perfect utopia of hunky men! Now if we could only get rid of the spiders, snakes, sharks, and average-looking and less guys.

message 38: by Sandra (last edited Mar 01, 2011 07:10PM) (new)

Sandra I luv my hunky man, the spiders and snakes not so much. LOL

and accent, what accent?

Lyndsey LOL Australian men have great voices - very sexy!! To you, it's just normal. But to us, it's HOT.

message 40: by Sandra (new)

Sandra :D

Does that mean my voice is sexy too? LOL

Lyndsey Yeah, all Australian accents are pretty sexy. ;-)

Kat Kennedy We're not lying. Australia really is that dangerous. I die almost on a daily basis.

Australia

Kat Kennedy Also, another reason that Australia is a very expensive funeral:

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) this song explains australia hahah lol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWFGd1...

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Australia Rules!! I am born and breed! I dont care if there a snakes in my back yard and sharks and crocs around every corner, because im just like Steve Irwin and I can wrestle them all!

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back Steve Irwin. *tear* I'd go to Australia just so I could kill every single fucking stingray I got my hands on in the name of STEVE IRWIN! *tear*

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Yep ill jump into the pouch of the nearest Kanagroo then hop on down to the local watering hole and kill me some sting rays! RIP STEVEY!

Lyndsey Those YouTube videos are hilarious!!! Kat, I think that big-ass NOTHING in the middle of the country must be where most of this book was supposed to take place. Though I dream of seeing the "Sharks with frikkin lasers" someday.

And Steve Irwin's daughter is one of the cutest little kids I've ever seen!

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Are u kidding? Bindi Irwin is an annoying little shit.Try loving in AUS - u would understand!

Lyndsey LOL I get that. I've only seen her a few times and I think she was singing a song about an elephant or something.

I can see how it would get annoying. I get so sick of hearing about Miley Cyrus. Bleh.

« previous 1 3