Crystal's Reviews > The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 04 to 07, 2011

This is the first book in a promising series by Michael Scott. The story centers around Sophie and Josh a set of twins who find themselves thrown into a world were magic rules all. This all happens after they try and help Nicholas Flamel, a very powerful alchemyst, after he is attacked by Dr. John Dee in the bookstore that Josh works in. Josh and Sophie find out that they are in the Codex, a book written thousands of years ago, and while all they learn is that there is a prophecy written about them we the reader find out that one of them will save the earth while the other will try and destroy it. Nicholas and his wife, who is kidnapped by John Dee in the early part of the book, have kept this book safe for many years and they have been using it to help them stay young, but without this book they will start aging one year for everyday. Well you might have guessed that the book is the sole reason for the attack on him and Dr. John Dee does end up getting his hands on it except for the last two pages. So begins the adventure of Nicholas and the twins. What follows brings us closer to understanding why the twins are "the" twins in the prophecy and how their life will be changing.
I really liked this book. The world that Scott creates is explained very well and I think that he was very consistent with his writing. I can see where the future books will go especially after the last chapter and I am very excited to watch these characters grow. My heart already goes out to Josh he will have a tough road ahead of him. I also liked most of the characters that Scott threw in throughout the book. All of the Lore that he used is very interesting and I can't wait to see who Sophie and Josh meet next.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemyst.

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I have the first four books collecting dust on my shelf. Can't wait to hear what you think of this one:)

Crystal I like it so far, it is very different than what I have been reading lol. I should finish it tonight =)

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Great review, Crystal!! I'm very excited to read this now, it sounds like a me book:D

Crystal Thanks! I think you will like it =)

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Eleazer I know Josh will have a tough road ahead of him. But first I would like to say I am glad he chose Flamel's side instead of going with Dee. I hope he gets a chance to get awakened as well so he is not left out. And now that they are in England there is a better chance he will be awakened right?