Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > The Twin's Daughter

The Twin's Daughter by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Oct 03, 10

bookshelves: own_arc, 2010, historical-mystery
Read on September 16, 2010

You guys, when the summary says that this book will keep you guessing to the very end - it ain't kidding. This plot will have you so twisted up into knots that you will be devouring it to get to the end. It is really rare to find a mystery where you aren't mostly certain what the outcome will be, and The Twin's Daughter is the answer to that problem.

When I was a kid, I read Victoria Holt novels obsessively. I loved them. They are gothic mystery/romance novels written back in the 1950s-60s...my mom read them back in the day, she is the one who got me hooked on them. As I got into high school, they stopped feeding my gothic addiction. The fact that they have little to no character substance or development became a glaring problem that I couldn't ignore. This book reminds me of those books, because it is exactly what I wish a Victoria Holt novel could be.

Basically, I have nothing negative to say about the story. As I've already said, the plot is brilliant and one of the best written mysteries I've ever read. The fact that it is a stand-alone is another huge plus. It seems like everything is a series lately. And the characters? Yeah. They're amazing too. Lucy Sexton is the perfect heroine. She gets caught up in the mystery between her mother and newly discovered aunt - and we have to try puzzling things together along with her. All the things she considers and discovers are completely believable and perfect to fit the story.

Suspense, mystery, love, family dynamics and a rather large creep factor all come together in a perfect balance to make one fantastic story. I highly recommend picking this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twin's Daughter.

09/16/2010 page 201
66.0% "so good!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Great review, Allison! I fondly remember Mistress of Mellyn from my younger days. I confess I don't remember much about it except that I liked the ambiance of it. So, your enthusiasm for this book really got my attention. I'm adding it to my to-reads and wishlist.

Sarah Hee! My mom left Victoria Holt novels around the house & got me hooked on gothic as well. :) Hurrah for moms.

Just finished Twin's Daughter tonight & agree about the Holt influence...also a healthy dose of Wilkie Collins.