Casey's Reviews > Violin

Violin by Anne Rice

2092896
Sep 24, 10

Read from September 17 to 24, 2010

As someone who reads as much as I do people are often surprised at how I haven't read many 'Classics' nor big popular authors-This is an example of that. Anne Rice is well known, If you have read her stuff or not you know her name or have had a conversation about her at some point. I have a great friend who is an Anne Rice lover to the core and she kept telling me 'You have got to read some of her stuff'', 'I really think you would like Anne Rice, Pick up one of her books' and so on. My 'To Read' list is very lengthy and all the Anne Rice novels just sort of blended in with the rest of the others until I decided to pick up a Rice novel while I was at the library. My local library isn't big by any means nor does it have all the books I would like it to but it does the trick, I found where Anne Rice's books were and began to sift through what I should get-The cover that caught my eye was that of her stand alone novel Violin.

Jumping in head first I began reading Violin, at first I was confused to say the least. Anne Rice has a style all her own and it was difficult to really see where she was going with everything. The words were beautiful, poetry in a sense, the description she uses definitely doesn't lack by any means. Violin was a mix of emotions and thoughts, Feelings of saddness, happiness and sometimes just feeling downright demented for the pictures this amazing Author was creating in the mind of her reader.

The character profiles created for each name dropped in this book are fantastic, There was no feelings of wonder when it comes to what each character was like personality wise nor was there any mystery in how the reader will feel for each one. Anne Rice truly has a way with words and an intricate mind to create such stories and characters.

Reading the First Ten chapters was definitely a treat, Something entirely new and astounding. As a reader you may get lost at some points with the 'back and fourth' memories Rice uses but it is easy to get back on track after a few paragraphs. The next Seven chapters began to lack a little, Seeming almost like a bunch of throw in stuff that did get tiresome at times. The novel picked back up in the last Four chapters ending the novel in a wonderful way.

This being the first Anne Rice novel I have ever read was a great experience and I will definitely be reading more from her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Violin.

09/17/2010 page 53