Spencer's Reviews > What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures

What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell

Sep 15, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, other-science-current-affairs-etc
Read in September, 2010

This book is the most recent from Malcolm Gladwell, and just as with his other 3 books, I loved it. Gladwell is a brillant thinker. He is able to make remarkable connections between seemingly unrelated things and events, and in the process allows us to view things we are familiar with in an entirely new way. He brings us along on his adventures, carefully drawing us into each story, expertly guiding us through the scientific studies, finally to present us with his fascinating conclusions. Different from his previous books, this book does not follow a single unique theme but is, instead, a collection of pieces he has previously published in The New Yorker. I found this to be both an advantage and a disadvantage. An advantage because the stories that weren't quite as interesting as others, were over fairly quickly. A disadvantage, because I wanted to hear more about those more interesting stories! The subject matter his covers is too vast to list in this short review, but if you want a sampling (or more) of the book, you can actually read every chapter on Gladwell's webpage (as each appeared in The New Yorker). Another note: I listened to the audiobook of this, which I enjoyed because Gladwell himself reads it. I think it's always best to have the author read his/her own work...that way they can tell the story how they want it to be told. I highly recommend this or any other of Malcolm Gladwell's books!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures.