Cheryl's Reviews > His Majesty's Dragon

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Jan 14, 08

Read in January, 2008

So this book was initially recommended to me when it was first published in 2006. I am sad to say that I didn't read it then. Which is odd since I have a great liking for most things that are about dragons. It was perhaps that it dealt with the Napoleonic Wars that made me put it off for so long. I don't like reading books about war. It's was all the fight scenes from Le Morte D'Arthur that took pages and pages to describe that did it to me. But my love of dragons finally won out and I picked the book up to read. And then I go and read the entire thing in one day.
I was immediately drawn to Laurence from the start. He came across very strong on the page; sure of himself, his abilities, and his lot in life. Which of course changes drastically by the end of the first chapter when Teremaire is hatched.
And what a dragon Temeraire is! From the very beginning I could tell that he was special. The details that Naomi goes into when she describes the different dragons is absolutely breathtaking. And the dragons that graced the pages of this novel had distinct personalities which was fantastic.

I was not disappointed by the synopsis of this book and it delivered everything that it promised it would. I did have to slog through some battle descriptions but they were easier to get through knowing that the battles focused on what the dragons did and the human interaction.

The one thing one must remember when reading is the time period it is set in. Naomi does a wonderful job of immersing the reader through her characters and their reactions to things. But it can occasionally come across stilted. There is a lot of formal speech-which was very common during the time period. It is interesting to see Laurence's attitudes change regarding certain social mores over the course of the book.

As I read and finished the book in one day says a great deal. One-that I have way too much time on my hands to read a 342 page novel. And two-it was engaging enough to keep me reading ignoring everything else around me. Is that a sign that it was well written? You better believe it.

So yeah, I'll be reading the next book in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Majesty's Dragon.

Chaundra Oh I'm so glad you reviewed this one! I've been eyeing it for ages, a little more than half-way afraid that it wouldn't live up to the fabulous description. Will definitely put this on my to-read list. Thanks a bunch!