Tamara's Reviews > Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You: A Novel

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron

Jan 20, 08

bookshelves: teen, fiction
Read in January, 2008

Similar to Catcher in the Rye and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, this book is about a troubled boy coming of age.

I have a hard time relating to male protagonists (hence my 3-star rating), but after about 30 pages, I started to understand the character. Just like any great book, this chronicles the life of a very specific person in a very specific time in his life, and yet, all of the thoughts and feelings of the character can be related to mankind in general. This book was quite philosophical in nature.

"What if she was meant to be, or could have been, someone important in my life? I think that's what scares me: the randomness of everything. That the people who could be important to you might just pass you by. Or you pass them by. How do you know...I felt that by walking away I was abandoning [them], that I spent my entire life, day after day, abandoning people."

"Dr. Adler had instructed me to always say whatever I was thinking, but this was difficult for me, for the act of thinking and the act of articulating those thoughts were not synchronous to me, or even necessarily consecutive. I knew that I thought and spoke in the same language and that theoretically there should be no reason why I could not express my thoughts as they occurred or soon thereafter, but the language in which I thought and the language in which I spoke, though both English, often seemed divided by a gap that could not be simultaneously, or even retrospectively, bridged."

"It was one of those moments when you feel you have never heard the word before, and you cannot believe it means what it means, and you think how did this word come to mean that? It seemed like a bell or something, shining and pure, disturbed, disturbed, disturbed, I could hear it pealing with its true meaning, and I said, as if I had just realized it, 'I am disturbed.'"

"I knew my mother was right, but that didn't change the way I felt about things. People always think that if they can prove they're right, you'll change your mind."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky I think I completely understand that gap between thinking and speaking.

Tamara I added that one just for you. I thought: This is Becky. Although in my head it was: ahgjfkd Becky.

message 3: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky You know me too well. I'm saying "thank you" in my head. It may or may not come out as actual words...