BlissfullyBlundering's Reviews > Baby

Baby by Patricia MacLachlan

Jan 10, 08

Recommended for: Everyone.
Read in November, 2007

I picked this book up on a whim while subbing for a fourth grade class because I recognized the author of Sarah Plain and Tall and it looked short enough to finish in a couple of hours. It is about a family who comes home to a baby on their doorstep with a note from the mother asking them to care for her until she returns. I expected a light children's book, but what I got was a heart wrenching, emotional roller coaster ride. I had constant tears in my eyes from the first page until the last. I thought that perhaps I was just overly hormonal or something, but after checking out the reviews on Amazon I found that my experience was on par with just about everyone else who had read it. MacLachlan has such a pure way of writing about human experiences that you feel deeply what her characters go through emotionally, even when those emotions can not easily be put into words. She should in no way be categorized simply as a children's author because she needs to be read by everyone. I strongly recommend this book to anyone with half a heart.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby.