Ami's Reviews > Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World

Supermarket Vegan by Donna Klein

1909118
Oct 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, food
Read from September 15 to October 12, 2010

Update #2: I made the Easy "Cream" of Asparagus soup a couple weeks ago & was not impressed. I interpreted "light coconut milk" to perhaps allow for a substitution of coconut milk "beverage" (as opposed to the canned version), so maybe that was part of the problem. But I could definitely taste the can-ness of the asparagus (canned asparagus plus its liquid *was* called for in the recipe), and it just wasn't that tasty. I think I'm done cooking my way through the soup section, and although everything sounded great, and the concept of the book is aces, I'm not so sure. I still have the main part of the cookbook to work through, but I'll have to try some other time, because the library has alerted me that I cannot renew the book because it is on hold. I must have managed to convince at least one of you to try it out, eh?

Final verdict: 2 stars, which were solely earned by the 5-star Moroccan-style Gingered Carrot Soup with Orange, and balanced out by the plainness and disappointment of the other three recipes I tried.

Update: Today I made the French Canadian Cabbage and Navy Bean Soup with Escarole. Upon tasting (but not a whole bowl yet), I feel like it needs something...it's a bit plain. Some herb/spice, but I can't put my finger on it. Thyme, maybe? But as written, it is still a hearty, healthy soup, and easy enough to make. Recipe says to eat with whole grain baguettes, and I'd have to second that.

I also made the Roasted Red Pepper and Potato Soup with Cumin, and it's tasty, but I'd leave out about half the celery the recipe called for, because I'm not a fan of celery and I can taste it too strongly. The texture also isn't quite right, a little too thin, so I think I'd increase either the potatoes or carrots by a half cup or so. And next time I probably won't use canned potatoes, but a medium-large regular ol' potato instead.

***

I'm really excited about this book. Halfway through putting to-cook bookmarks the first section, I realized that if everything is as delicious as it sounds, I am going to have to buy my own copy.

The premise is a listing of vegan recipes that utilize ingredients you can buy in (most) supermarkets. I really love that premise. I am, of course, a fan of some "weird" vegan things like seitan, but I am also intimidated by costly, unfamiliar ingredients that may or may not be worth their health food store prices.

So, I've started with Moroccan-style Gingered Carrot Soup with Orange. Basically, it is onions, ginger, a bunch of carrots, with orange juice & veggie broth, blended. It is delicious in a surprising way: didn't expect it to be as creamy as it is! I should have known that blending root vegetables is good for that, but I was thinking it was only potatoes. Anyhow, that's my first-cooked recipe; more to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supermarket Vegan.

message 1: by Gina (new)

Gina This sounds like a great collection.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy i'm excited to try this book! also, i would put some sage and rosemary in that soup. mm.

message 3: by Ami (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami Timothy wrote: "i'm excited to try this book! also, i would put some sage and rosemary in that soup. mm."

Yes! Please, try that soup & improve it! I'm eager to see how you do it. Rosemary, maybe, but I'm not sure-- how does sage goes with cabbage?