Cams's Reviews > Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Sep 15, 2010

bookshelves: second-attempt
Read from September 15, 2010 to April 05, 2013

I started this in audiobook format in 2010 and, for some reason, gave up on it. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that some books are actually better in written form than audio. That said, my second and successful attempt were also with the audiobook and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I would like to return to it in written form some day, because the language is so good. This here is no pulp fiction, this is literature, baby!

As many others have stated in their reviews, what is so striking about this dystopian science-fiction story is its plausibility. We're kind of half way there already with genetic engineering and gene splicing. It's like the Frankenstein conundrum, but in the modern age. just because we can doesn't mean we should.

I see from the header on Goodreads that this is the first of a trilogy. I'll have to look into that, although I did think the ending of the story was just right. I could imagine high-school and university students discussing the ending in tutorials and essays. Brilliant!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.

Cecily Yes, it's a trilogy, but the third isn't available until the summer.

The second one, The Year of the Flood isn't second chronologically, but tells a parallel story, with a few overlapping characters, but in a totally different format and style.

I have no idea what the new one will be like: MaddAddam: A Novel

Regarding audio books, I can't get on with them (I get distracted), but I wonder if your problem in this case might be more to do with the reader than the book itself?

Cams The reader of Oryx and Crake was actually very good. I've endured some poor reading in my time and still enjoyed the content once I got used to the reader's voice. I think the worst was Robert Ludlum's Bourne books, but I got drawn in so deep with them that I soon forgot all about the monotonous voice.

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look. Coincidentally, one of the rejected choices for this months Verge book club was the Handmaid's Tale, which I see you've given five stars. I enjoyed Oryx and Crake so much that I'm certainly going to add more of Margaret Atwood's books to my list!

Cecily I've read and enjoyed quite a lot of Atwood, though it's hard to pin her down to a particular style or category (which is not a criticism). I think people (especially men) are often put off by the fact she's seen as a feminist, but although she often features strong female characters, none of the books I've read feel as if they're pushing that sort of agenda.