Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]'s Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

3442094
Apr 19, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, 2010-reads, i-have, surely-i-ll-never-forget-book, disturbing, favorites, 2011-reads, reviews, contemporary-romance
Read in October, 2010

Wow! just wow.

This was a definite emotional roller coaster. A mind tripping BOOK.
Harsh, beautiful, inspiring and utterly heart-breaking.

description

Short synopsis, but what more needs to be said? The term ‘food for thought’ comes to mind and is immediately redefined by this novel. Emotionally driven, unrelenting, shocking but not gratuitous – this story is the epitome of open-minded topical address. I’m not a prudish reader – in fact the more trying a novel is, the more inclined I am to have a go at it. That said, I don’t think anyone with a sibling (or many without) could possibly read this without the occasional bout of discomfort. Particularly during those (surprisingly frequent) occasions where you just KNOW what’s coming next, you might find yourself having to put the book down for a moment, take a breath, and brace yourself.

First and foremost, however, Suzuma creates an incredibly authentic, insular sense of family through the emotional, social and financial tensions and strains this unit of characters suffer as they struggle through daily life – 5 siblings dealing with issues like innocence, rebelliousness and social anxiety. With very few peripheral characters, it’s easy to get lost in this small domestic world as you become familiar with the complex workings of their every-day life. Nothing is ‘normal’ here, an alcoholic mother, an absentee father, constantly ducking social services – the family is a self-contained safe-haven, a prejudice-free zone where Maya and Lochan take on parental roles, and later where their love is free to flourish. The novel moves from dealing with common familial and social issues which will resonate with many readers, to dealing with something which, at first glance, inspires revulsion, but which almost seems like a natural progression for the two eldest characters.

And that’s the ethical debate every reader will have with themselves – it’s impossible not to wish Maya and Lochan could be together somehow, not to feel the natural progression of their love – and then suddenly remembering what it is you’re wishing for, how unnatural most of us feel it should be. That is the biggest achievement of the author in this novel – so successfully creating that moral opposition, rooting it within the reader and pushing it as far as possible critically and emotionally. The entire novel is beautifully written, and the core theme of incest is approached carefully, without bias (in a dual narrative) and with great credibility (Maya and Lochan are as torn as any reader will be) – but also without compromise.

Despite the unsettling subject matter, Forbidden is an amazingly compelling and often fast paced read – I completed it in less than 48 hours, despite pausing regularly to digest the difficult content. You will, without doubt, get caught up in this disturbing, fantastical, fantasy world where love runs deeper than blood; but at the end of the day fantasies are mere whims and there’s a severe price to pay for taking on the world and going against society. Harsh, beautiful, inspiring and utterly heart-breaking, this is a novel which will challenge your morals, really get you thinking, and stay with you for a long, long time.
31 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

Quotes Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] Liked

Tabitha Suzuma
“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”
Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden

10/06/2010 page 238
57.0% "chapter 21- i love this chapter, im actually crying with happiness right now. how i wish there stay all of them like that."
04/16/2011 page 30
7.0% "currently re-reading.."

Isamlq great review!!!

Marz wow awesome review!

Kwesi 章英狮 Really liked your review, what's with the picture? Interesting. Haha.

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] @marz, thanks. I see you also had read this book. :P
@kwesi, hey, thanks. d picture? I just saw it on google and it reminds me of 'them' the main characters of this book. haha

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Ah, the agony of waiting! Will he ever go down lower? Will she push him down? Will his tongue ever find her words and speak of love?

message 7: by Via (new) - rated it 4 stars

Via Love I really love your review! You really have a way with words. I think my vocabulary just got expanded from reading it....haha. Anyway, I just downloaded this and can't is one from Galley Grab and can't wait to read it! :D

message 8: by Sara (new) - added it