Renee's Reviews > The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their Lives

The Necklace by Cheryl Jarvis

Nov 06, 11

Read in September, 2010, read count: 2

This book is about 13 women who bought a diamond necklace together so that they could all experience a little bit of luxury in their life. The 14 chapters in the book each visit one of the women that was involved in the experiment, with the final chapter a reflection of how well things worked. The book stated that this was a political experiment, but personally I think that it fits better as a socio-economic experiment. I thought the best part of this book was being able to see how having a diamond necklace changed the lives of these women; it was a different sort of change or transformation for each woman and it was a great way to show multiple perspectives. One thing that I also found to be fun was that even one of the husbands of the women was changed by the fact that this diamond necklace had found its way into their lives.
This book made me think about if I would ever become involved in an experiment (or investment) like this --- my answer is probably not. It sounds like fun, but I just don't know that I am spontaneous enough to do that. I might do it... IF it was with a group of women that I knew personally. I know for sure I would not do this if there were friends of friends in the group. This book definitely made me think about some things and it also made me consider what it means to have true happiness in my life.
My mom and I read this book aloud together on a car ride. This book was so entertaining and it was so much fun to read with my mom. As we were reading it out loud we were also able to discuss it with each other. It was also very interesting to hear my own opinion with that of my mom's and to hear the difference in our generational gap. Overall, a very fun and light book that is perfect for any woman of any generation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necklace.