Kelly's Reviews > Reckless

Reckless by Cornelia Funke

Sep 21, 10

bookshelves: teen
Read from September 14 to 21, 2010

This is an example of book in which the back story is far more interesting than the actual plot. Funke started the book in the completely wrong place. There was such a rich and fascinating story hidden in the summary at the beginning. The idea of a boy discovering a world where fairy tales are real and then becoming a treasure hunter and seeking treasures such as a lock of Rapunzel's hair or the oven door of the witch's house in Hansel and Gretal--that, Cornelia Funke, should have been your story. That, for me, was far more fascinating then the complicated plot. There was nothing in the story that made me care about the characters or even want to finish the book (though I did). The only thing that kept me going were the tiny moments of summary that refered back to adventures Jacob had before the "real" story began. And I loved the darkness Funke brought to the old fairy tales-the image of Sleeping Beauty's castle was amazing. If only the entire story was that way.

And I know every writer has his or her own writing tick, but Funke uses the phrase "as if" far too many times. It was there in Inkheart and it was in this book again. I once counted it three times in one paragraph. I suppose it could be a translation issue, but I doubt it.

Cornelia Funke: I gave you a second try and it will be my last. Once again good concept, very poor execution. I keep going back and forth between two and three stars. In the end I think I have to go with three because I loved the original concept.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckless.

09/14/2010 "I wasn't a fan of Funke's writing in Inkheart, but I'm a sucker for fairy tales with a twist. We'll see how this goes..."