Kiera Beddes's Reviews > Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: eng-420, award-winner, required-author
Read on September 14, 2010

Genre: historical fiction
Summary: Cassie learns over one quick summer just what racism is like and how to stand up to it. Cassie has a strong parents who protect her as much as possible and teach her to be the best person she can be.
Response: I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get through this book. After all, it isn't like the other YA fiction I have been reading recently. At least the copy that I have has small print, and small margins. Regardless of the layout, the story went by fast, enough. After a few hours of dedicated reading, I was able to get through all of it. It was uncomfortable at times how frank and how directly Mildred D. Taylor addresses issues of racism, prejudice and violence. My heart broke for Cassie and her family as she slowly realized that everything outside of her home was completely different from the inside. And this book was also unusual in the sense of how central the adults were to the story. Yes, it was from a child-narrator, but a lot of the action and a lot of the meaning comes from the adults, rather than the children. Sometimes, the kids are like pawns in the story, to be acted upon rather than acting significantly for themselves. They often have to deal with the consequences of other people's actions.
But overall, it was a good read. It would be a powerful way to teach children about the issues of racism, drawing connections to racial problems that still plague our society even today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.