J.T. Dutton's Reviews > Freedom

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Sep 16, 10

Read on September 14, 2010

I didn't know the story about the Corrections, the slight to Oprah or the National Book Award business. Maybe I was asleep that year or reading something long by Charles Dickens. I did finally read the novel though when my husband, Dr. Midwestern Literature bought home a copy. Wow, I remember thinking as I finished. Wow.
I read the first chapter of Freedom in the New Yorker last year and I talked about it, recommended it, got into a huge discussion with Jeff about the characters.
We, sadly, look a little like Walter and Patty Bergland. I'm full of misplaced East Coast entitlement. Jeff is a nice but easily road raged intellectual from Minnesota. We live in a pretty Victorian house in a suburban place with our two pretty kids--yup, a boy and I girl. I knew when I bought my copy of Freedom at Borders instead of the Indy bookstore I should have shopped at, I was risking seeing my own insanity, my own dull smallness in an unflattering mirror.
Toward the end of the novel, I hated the whole story. Seriously. What a downer all the self-interest and human foible coming between two people who needed each other. I kept thinking screw you Mr. Downer Franzen.
Then this evening, I finished the book and OK, I sort of managed to enjoy two happy endings, the one Jeff and I experienced being together despite the fragility of our world, and the one Franzen forged for the Berglands, who do finally, figure a few basic things about each other out.
Freedom is worth the pain and suffering. That's all I'm saying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom.