penny's Reviews > Creating Crochet Fabric: Experimenting with Hook, Yarn & Stitch

Creating Crochet Fabric by Dora Ohrenstein

Oct 04, 10

bookshelves: craft-crochet, library-nypl
Read from September 14 to October 04, 2010

I was initially drawn in by, of all things, the title. I'm really happy I listened to the siren call and discovered a beautiful new publication.

I don't often hear many who describe what their needles or hooks create as fabric, but I'm very happy that "after several years of serious play with yarns [Ohrenstein] gained new perspectives on the interplay of yarn, hook, and stitch patterns in crochet fabric". She terms this the fabricology of crochet.

Why does this book succeed? The same stitch pattern is shown with different yarns and the differences are described. Most samples have the pattern available in a stitch dictionary at the back, as both charted crochet and with more traditional written instructions. The photos are in focus and photographed simply showing the detail you need to understand the important concepts that Ohrenstein covers.

I do wish more attention and examples were given to drape, as I feel that is an area many crocheters need to understand to go to new places in the fabricology of crochet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creating Crochet Fabric.