Angela James's Reviews > Coronets and Steel

Coronets and Steel by Sherwood Smith

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, contemporary, my-faves, fantasy-romance
Read from September 14 to 19, 2010

I almost marked this review as containing spoilers but didn't, though it does probably contain minor spoilers, though I think they're things important to helping people decide if they want to read the book or no.

I liked this book quite a bit, though I wish I'd known the story didn't quite end but continues in the next book. Aside from that, I'm still also a bit hesitant to call this a fantasy series. It's set in contemporary times, and it has some "other" elements but it strikes me as more paranormal than fantasy. If you've been not sure about picking it up because of the fantasy label, but you like contemporary books with hints of paranormal, you may like this.

The pacing is good, the story details really interesting and well-revealed. I had a few moments of impatience with the heroine being overly naive and trustworthy (especially for someone from LA) but otherwise enjoyed how the story and plot were revealed. I could have lived without the obligatory "two guys to be hot for" that we get so often these days, but I didn't get the sense the author really meant to drag that out.

Overall, I recommend this book with a reservation about the ending since the book ends on a cliffhanger (which I'm not a fan of) and the story is clearly meant for at least a second book. I'm not sure when the next book will be released!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coronets and Steel.