Dave's Reviews > The Civil War, Vol. 3: Red River to Appomattox

The Civil War, Vol. 3 by Shelby Foote

Apr 23, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in March, 2008

The final book of Shelby Foote's 3-part Civil War epic history. Essentially covers the final year of the war, with Grant vs Lee out east in Virginia, and Sherman vs Johnston/Hood in Georgia.

If you have no idea who those people are or don't care, then this book probably isn't for you. But I've mentioned that already in my reviews of the first two Foote books...

Loved it, thought it was interesting and very rich in detail. One image especially stuck with me right from the end of the book; the breakup of Lee's army after its surrender. So you're a poor soldier from rural Mississippi who's been fighting with Lee for a few years, marched back and forth (mostly without shoes) across Virginia fighting the Union and now you've just surrendered and paroled to go home. So...what now? You walk home. Walk to Mississippi! Remember, most of the railroads had been ripped up by the Union armies, and there were few horses in the Confederacy not already in the calvary sooooo...awesome. Hit the road and start walking, after all that. Unbelievable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Civil War, Vol. 3.