Jennifer Kim's Reviews > The Icebound Land

The Icebound Land by John Flanagan

Sep 14, 10

** spoiler alert ** Flanagan does it again! What a great read. I started reading the Ranger's Apprentice series because of my son. He's an advance reader and I wanted to make sure the material was appropriate for him. Now, after the first three books, I'm completely hooked and I can't finished these fast enough.

Will, Evanlyn, Halt and Horace. Each of them very special and endearing. I really care what happens to every one of them. I especially like this book because (spoiler alert!) it deals with drug addiction. Will, the strong, independent and resourceful Ranger, is addicted to drugs which makes his miserable slave life a little more bearable. The slave handlers drug their slaves so that they are obedient and easier to handle. But that addiction leads to many dangers, completely negating the momentary respite it offers. This is a great message for the young kids out there.

I love this series and I would highly recommend it. The characters are teenagers, so I'm thinking that there's going to be some romance in this series. But so far, nothing I can object to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Icebound Land.