Fredsky's Reviews > Healer

Healer by Carol Cassella

Sep 14, 10

Read in September, 2010

I found the family in this book difficult to like. The father, a brilliant biochemist, has struck it rich and then struck out, as in out of money, homes, or even a $200 diamond necklace for the whiney kid Jory, who doesn't get it. And why should she get it, that her family is horribly, astoundingly broke overnight? It didn't happen overnight, of course, but the husband/father Addison has finally broken the news to Claire, that they now have nothing and have to sell everything else. Claire, an unpracticing doctor who did not finish her residency nor take her boards, gets a job for the first time since her marriage: she becomes a doctor at a clinic for the poor. This situation leaves everyone insecure. Will Claire forgive her husband for betting all their personal assets on his new discovery without even telling her first? Will Addison ever find the molecules he craves to cure cancer and make his family rich again? Will anyone tell Jory the whole truth so she can understand her plight and start being a good kid again? Will this family stay together? If Addison ever discovers a new drug, will he go for a Utility Patent the instant he gets a Provisional?
I found the wealthy times of this family hard to imagine. I found it hard to accept that Claire, who becomes so dedicated at the clinic, could have been so frivolous or inconsequential as a rich man's wife. I hope that Jory gets back in toe shoes ASAP so that she can live her dreams and enjoy the pain.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healer.