Brian Leach's Reviews > The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer

Jan 21, 14

bookshelves: history
Read from November 23, 2013 to January 21, 2014

Widely considered the best history on the Third Reich ever written, after finishing it I have to agree. Wow, so much information is packed in the 1200+ pages I'm left with a different perspective of the Nazis and the Germans of the time period.

William Shirer had a unique perspective to compose such an outstanding work - he witnessed first-hand the rise of the Nazis as an American journalist assigned to Berlin. Shirer also accompanied the German advances at the start of WWII until Hitler expelled foreign journalists. He returned to Germany in the aftermath of WWII.

The Nazi leaders were not impressive men at all - what they had in common was a lust for power and an undying love for Hitler as some sort of German prophet for the ages. Hitler himself was an insane genius bent on bringing his will to the world and convinced only he knew what was best for Germany. Hitler thought he was the personification of Germany.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

11/23 marked as: currently-reading
01/21 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne I have this on my kindle and need good reviews like yours to prod me into reading it. I know I'm going to enjoy it, but I always hesitate to delve into those monstrous tomes! Thanks for the nice review - hopefully I'll get to it before too long!

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I read Berlin Diary by Shirer. I thought it was very good, though others might have found it to factual and dry. Remember it was truth!

Brian Leach Yes this one has sat around in my reading queue for quite some time before I just jumped in and started reading it. It took me almost 2 months to finish it but it was well worth it.